71: The Playground

"What do you mean someone came here to pick her up? Did I instruct you to hand her over to someone else?" Yetunde yelled.

Olumide propped his elbow on his lap and placed his head in the centre of his palm while he watched the drama between Yetunde and the security man. He'd waited for over an hour before she arrived in the red Toyota Yaris that his father had gifted her when she finished her drug therapy.

He'd felt it was a little too excessive of a gift for her to stop what she needed to for the good of those around her. But he didn't say anything to the man. In a way, he felt like his father was compensating for the loss of Muyiwa.

He turned to Modupe who sat beside him as she licked the last scoop of ice cream off the white plastic spoon. "Are you done?"

"Yes." She nodded and crumped the oily paper that the fried potatoes had come in. She threw the paper into the mini-ice cream cup and placed it on the bench. "Thank you."

"You're welcome." He beamed at her.

Even the food delivery man had arrived faster than Yetunde. At the time, he'd been too worried to eat his own food and now he was sure that the ice cream had melted by now. He was tempted to bring it out of the nylon and eat it while Yetunde screamed off her head.

"Ma, it's your brother that asked me to let Modupe go." The security man yelled.

"Which brother?" Yetunde screamed, pointing her long nails in the man's face. "Is it the one that is in Venice? How would he know who came to pick her?"

"Can we go and meet aunty Yetti now?" Modupe asked.

"No. Just wait." He said.

Modupe swung her legs back and forth as her feet did not quite reach the grass. "Are you mad at her?"

He dropped his palm. "Why would I be?"

She shrugged. "That's what she told mummy yesterday."

Olumide released air from his lungs as he tried to check whatever anger he was exhibiting that the child could pick up on. "No, I'm not mad at her. I'm mad at myself."

"I swear, I'll kill you today. How can you tell me Olumide came here? Do you know who he is? Do you know how busy he is?"

"Miss—"

Yetunde cut off the man as her hands grabbed his shirt. She cried, as she stomped. "You've given my child to kidnappers oh!"

"I asked him the magic question your brother gave. I—"

"Let's go now." Olumide grabbed Modupe's hand and led the way back to the school gate. She skipped beside him, touching the tall grass with the tips fingers and smiling as they went along.

He cleared his throat as he stood behind Yetunde. "Why are you just arriving?"

She dropped her hands from the security man's shirt and spun around, her eyes wide with hot shock. "Olu... Olumide. What are you doing here?"

"I told you I wanted to talk." He caught the security man's wary face and nodded at the man. "Sorry for that. I'll take it from here."

"Take what from here? Didn't I tell you I would come and pick Modupe up myself?"

"And where were you for the past two hours? Most students have gone home, eaten lunch and are resting now."

"Whatever." She flipped her braids as she knelt on the concrete floor and drew Modupe closer to her. She hugged the girl and spoke with a stern voice. "Next time, if someone else comes to pick you, even if I'm late, don't go with them."