60: Sunbo Go Home

Romola kicked her feet into high gear. She had to get there fast. she would lose her mind and do something drastic like throw herself in front of a moving car on the two lane road that led to the apartment she had shared with Yetunde. But she wasn't going there. No, she couldn't. Not after the total humiliations she had received at Miss Oyama's hands.

She wanted to come out in her own time-- to tell the truth in her own way but Yetunde had denied her the opportunity. Romola put one feet on the curb, then retracted it. No, she would not give Yetunde another opportunity to rejoice in her downfall. The first time, she went away to protect herself. This time, Yetunde would also learn that the best defense was an attack.

Romola turned back the way she'd come.

But attack what? She had no access to Yetunde's physically. Worse still, the devil had graduated and probably did not live in this apartment any longer. What was there to fight? She was powerless but her anger was not a force that could simply be moved by the realization of the futility of its effort.

No. There had to be another way.

Her phone vibrated in her pocket. She starred at the name on the screen-- Chioma.

"Hello," She croaked, her voice hoarse from the tears that had emerged at her confession.

The tears didn't move Miss Oyama at all. If anything, it had angered her. Romola wasn't even sure she still had a job.

"Please, this isn't the best time to call."

"Then when is? Really tell me."

"I'll be home in a few minutes."

"Better. Maybe you'll come and remove your useless sister from my premises before I take an extraordinary measure. You know what I can do."

"My sister? Which one?"

Was it Sunbo who had refused to pick her calls or Lolade? No, it couldn't be Lolade; the young girl couldn't remember the way to her house. If she could, she would have visited countless number of times.

More tears spilled down her cheeks. It would have to be Sunbo who would not hesitate to tell her I-told-you-so. She deserved it.

"I don't understand whether you want us all to pack out so you can bring your family in here." Chioma hissed.

"I'll be there."

A beeping sound confirmed that Chioma had dropped the call.

# # #

Romola set her eyes on the bags littered outside the apartment. Sunbo sat on one of the large purple boxes dressed in a peach bum-short and a white tank top. A white silky kimono jacket covered the rest of her skin. The boxes lay beside the door while there were a few Ghana-must-go bags and a bright orange nylon on the floor. A few shoes peeked out of the nylon bag while Sunbo's tapped her phone screen.

"What are you doing here?"

Sunbo dove towards Romola. She hung around Romola's neck. "You're finally here. Why didn't you pick your phone?"

Her phone. Romola paused, staring at her feet. A small piece of cake cream remained on her ankle like a parasite. She'd left her tablet on the table when that stupid usher had asked her to join the single women in front.

"What happened to your dress?" Sunbo eyed Romola's dress.

"Nothing. Why are you here?"

Sunbo smiled. "I finally know what I want to do with my life"

"Which is?"

"I want to move in with you."

Romola eyed the baggage that Sunbo had dragged with her. She drew in a deep breath to prepare for battle.