24: Rejected

Romola stared at the list again, crossing out the seventh name. Just five more and she would have gone through all the names on this list. None of the responses from the previous companies had been encouraging. She tapped the website address of the next company into her phone and google maps produced the essential details.

She taped on the call button for Gold Standard Institute. The phone rang for a while but no one picked. She called again. No answer.

She crossed out the name as searched for the next company. She had to get an internship placement soon. Not just to raise 230 thousand for Mr. Joseph but for her family.
Her mother was right. She squeezed her face as she imagined her mother standing over her and railing about how a supermarket job was not a real job.

Yes, if she lived alone, the money Iya Tobi paid her would be enough to help her coast through until she could get a better offer but she was certain that if she didn’t find a way to better Lolade and Sunbo’s life soon, one of her sisters would be in grave danger.

She called the number of the ninth company.

“Hello.”

“Hello. Good afternoon. My name is Miss Ibikunle Moromola and I’m calling to make enquiries. I assume I’m on to Sky Trust Associates.”

“Go on.”

“I am a Finance and Accounting student, attached to the Professor JTO Institute of Higher Learning and I need to complete four months of  internship as a compulsory part of my scheme. I would like to know If I could intern at your organisation.”

“I’m sorry. We don’t take interns.”

“I can apply for a full time job.“

“We don’t have space for another staff member.”

“I can offer--“ The beep from the other end of the line was the only signal that the phone had been cut.
Romola dropped her head on the table. There was no way she could  meet up with the payment if she kept calling places that didn’t want her. She wanted to ask Mr. Joseph for help but she was afraid that he would spurn her.

She turned the paper over, reaching for the sachet water at her side and taking a sip. A drop of water stole past her lips and landed on the paper in a huge opaque blur. She rubbed that part of the paper with her fingers as her eyes skimmed the content of the paper. The deadline for the registration for the exams was two weeks away and if she passed, she would be assured of admission along with job offers at the end of the course.

Her shoulders dropped.

The exam location was at a hall in her old university. If she had remained in school, she might have had a chance to write exams similar to this one.

She ought to change her middle name to ‘stupid decisions’. Why did she refuse to stay at the interview at Pilliard? She had no logical reason to leave. Tears gathered in her eyes but she brushed them away. She had possibly thrown away her one chance at a good life for her family.

All because of Olumide.

UPDATE:
Guess who is back from Abia camp?

Thank you all so much for your patience. It's been a while. I missed this book and I missed you guys. I'm back now. Multiple celebratory updates before we go back to the usual schedule.