42: Old Currency

Thursday came too fast. If she had the power to hold back the days, she would’ve have but now, she sat in the high stool by the receptionist table, waiting for Victoria to arrive. In a way, she anticipated the woman’s coming. Since seeing the woman a few days ago, she had seen things. More like remembered them. Only that it seemed like a dream.

The door opened and she looked up to see that it was Miss Oyama coming in. She took a deep breath to settle her mind while she picked her phone off the counter. She stared at the pictures of Victoria Olayinka that Benjamin had sent to her. Most of the photos were of Victoria at Peterson Hospital. She tapped on the Instagram link he sent and scrolled down Vicky’s page until the pictures came to a stop on its own.

There were picture of Victoria and her family, some people, some videos and then- Romola’s hand hovered over the pictures in the middle. She clicked it so that it became the only picture on the phone. Olumide. Younger but Olumide still. Pictures of Olumide filled the page. She scrolled further and further and found his face as the dominant picture. A part of her heart caved in.

“Romola?”

She looked up, at Miss Oyama’s questioning gaze. “Ma?”

“Is everything okay. You look…”

“I’m fine.” Romola put on a smile.

Miss Oyama stared at her for a minute, looked away then turned back to her. “I just remembered. There are a couple of things I want you to do.”

Romola dropped the phone. Staring at Vicky’s pictures was a bad idea. She didn’t need to know who Olumide was getting married to. Had he sent his bride here? To show off?

“When?”

“Ma?” Romola sat up, blinking. She couldn’t remember a single thing Miss Oyama had said but she knew she had heard some words.

“Where are the things we asked you to submit?”

Romola slid off the stool to her feet.

Miss Oyama’s eyes descended to meet hers. “Passport, letter from your course adviser or HOD?”

“Oh. I’m working on it.”

“For how long?”

“Please, just give me a week.” Romola pleaded. “I moved recently and I’m still trying to settle in.”

Miss Oyama eyed her “That better be the case. Hurry up. I don’t like people who aren’t smart.”

“Yes ma.”

Romola sighed, climbing back on the stool and leaning across the counter to draw the box of display rings to herself. She ran her fingers across the mock diamond surface of each ring and stopped at the section that contained the type of rings Victoria had requested for.

Why was Olumide letting his fiancée do the ring shopping alone? Why wasn’t he here? If he came here, what would she do? She picked up the hexagon shaped ring, the type Benjamin said the woman had asked for and slipped it onto her fingers, wondering for a moment what it would be like to be in Vicky’ shoes.

She shook her head. As wonderful as it seemed, it would be a nightmare if the man who gave her the ring was the same man in Victoria’s photos. She dropped the ring in the box and pushed the box back to its position.

She turned to Miss Oyama, who sat staring at the photos on the wall. “Ma, do we have any client coming in today?”

Miss Oyama nodded. “Do you have somewhere to be this evening?”

“No, I’m just curious. Benjamin said someone was supposed to arrive by 3 but she’s not here yet.”

“Yes. She rescheduled for 3:30. She’s been stuck in traffic.” Miss Oyama folded her arms. “This is why I prefer for them to come in the mornings. Do you have any business with said client?”

“No. No. I just wanted to know.”

Her boss turned to her and walked to the counter. “There is something you can do for me.”

“What?”

“You see, this client wants a design she saw with someone else but that one was custom made. I promised that client I wouldn’t make any other design like that. Can you help me convince today’s client to get something else. I don’t even think this design would fit her fingers.”

“Is it not better for her to just get what she wants?” Romola frowned. “You know how picky brides are.”

“I know but,” Miss Oyama reached for her hands over the counter and held her. “I’m counting on you to do this. I have a catalogue of design bases in my office that  I can work with to create something especially for her.”

“Ma, I don’t think—”

“Okay,  just get the catalogue for me. It is in a box in the third drawer. . I don’t think I’ve opened that book in a year or so but the catalogue cover is yellow or reddish I think. Just get it.”

Romola sighed. It was just to get the book. She didn’t have to talk to that Victoria woman. All she had to do was get the book and everything would be fine. She marched into Miss Oyama’s office and stood behind the desk. She knelt down, running her hands across the surface of the desk as her other hand reached for the drawer. She dragged the handle towards her.

Dust filled the air as the drawer opened. Romola coughed, waving the dust away.

Dust? That was so unlike Miss Oyama. Romola reached into the cupboard and began to flip through the magazines there. Everything there was at least 3 years old. She reached the bottom of the pile before the orange cover Miss Oyama described came to being. She lifted the stack of books then pulled it out from other. More dust. As she pulled it some money fell out of the book. Old 100 naira notes.

Romola shook her head. Here she was looking for money, meanwhile people were forgetting money inside books for years. Romola gathered the cash and raised the stack of the book before she discovered that the enter base of the wardrobe was filled with scattered pieces of the cash. She pulled out the magazines and began to pull out the notes.

67 pieces in all.

6,700.

This was nothing compared to the hundreds of thousand Miss Oyama made each week. Besides, the woman owed her money. She spent her transport money each day to buy food for Miss Oyama.

Romola arranged the currency from the oldest print to the newest. She knew a guy, actually Jide knew a guy, who could exchange this for the current currency? Romola tossed the money back into the cupboard. It wasn’t her money. And she would never want to stoop so low as the enable Jide’s vile ways and encourage his friends. She placed the rest of the magazine in the drawer and walked back to the reception with the magazine.

Two women were standing there when she arrived. Miss Oyama turned to her, “Miss Olayinka, this is my newest staff, member Romola.”

“We’ve met.” Vicky’s smile was broad.

Romola felt her face tighten but she forced herself to smile as Miss Oyama curved a hand in her direction. “Oh, in that case, then I bet you wouldn’t mind if she showed you one of our catalogues in case you find something that catches your fancy.”

“Oh that’s nice. How long do I have with her?”

Miss Oyama’s bright teeth sparkled in Victoria’s direction. “You’re at least ten minutes early for your appointment. Let her show you the designs and then you and I can craft the ring of your dreams. Where is your husband? You said he would come today.”

“He’s busy.” Victoria’s eyes did not leave Romola’s face. “He might have to schedule a separate visit with you soon.”

Romola’s teeth clamped shut in her mouth as her hands tightened around the magazine. She’d walked right into Miss Oyama’s trap and Victoria, she was certain, would not let her go easily. She turned away from the woman and slapped the magazine on the counter.

Why did it seem that no matter how hard she tried, she couldn’t get away from her past?