26: Mall Pickup

Olumide parked three car lines away from the mall. He hit the steering wheel with the ball of his palm. Another wasted day and nothing about Romola had resurfaced. He rubbed his eyes then, squinted at the numbers on his phone.

What was the time? He'd left the office later than she had requested but Lagos traffic was always a convenient excuse.

Two women with several shopping bags came towards his car.He lowered his car window and stuck out his head. "Jumoke, you can waste time."

"I'm sorry."

He cocked a brow?

Where was the bad tempered reply she always gave? Today she looked brighter much like the old Jumoke before Muyi died. She had make-up on her face and wore a tight fitting wrap around blouse over her jean trousers. A never ending smile seized her lips. Beside her, Yetunde glared at him.

He stuck his head in the car, refusing to meet her eyes. No doubt, this was another ruse by his sister to get them together. She nudged Yetunde's hand. Yetunde didn't need Ajoke's nudging to do what she wanted.

His sister placed her arm over the window and bent towards him. "I just remembered I forgot to buy Leo's milk."

"He's not a baby. Why does he need milk?'

"Special milk. He has allergies."
He knew it. Jumoke never forgot anything. She had one of those crazy brains that could remind you about what you wore on a particular day. She could forget words but not things. Especially things concerning her over-pampered son.

"Just help Yetunde put the things in the boot. I'll be out in a minute."

"Mide, the boot." Yetunde passed him by.

He pressed a button on the dashboard, then faced backwards, she struggled to open the boot. He would have helped but he didn't want to start a conversation.
She opened the boot, then let the bags drop before shutting it and taking the seat beside him.

"I would prefer you sat at the back."
She reached for the seat belt and strapped herself into the seart. Her dark purple nails contrasted with the white leather belt he'd installed.

"There is nothing wrong with this seat."

"You have your own car. Why  do I still have to chauffeur you around town?"

She looked him squarely in the face. "If I knew you were going to be here I wouldn't have followed her. She  asked me to help with the shopping and told me that her husband would pick us up."

Even if heaven was falling, Tomiwa would not move a muscle but if something as small as a feather dropped on his son, he would turn hell upside down.

Olumide ran his hand across his face. How would he bring up the questions about Romola without setting Yetunde's anger on overdrive.
"Have you heard from Romola lately?"

Her brows knitted together in a furious gaze. "You can't still be mad about what happened."

"You ruined my house warming, Yetunde. You brought bad juju to my new house."

"You mean to say Romola and her witch of her mother destroyed it."
A witch? Mide shook his head. That might explain how Romola put a spell on him– he was still suffering from its effect.

Yetunde continued, "I only did what a good human being would do. I saw that she didn't mean well and I warned you. Of course, you refused to listen."

"That's enough."

"No it isn't." Yetunde slapped the leather chair. "You are always blaming me like I didn't save you from that witch."

"I didn't need saving."