39: Tailor's

Olumide parked his car in front of the two storey building. He shut down the engine, closed the door, locked his car then entered through the transparent front door. A woman sat behind a white desk, staring at the flat screen TV on the wall.

“Hello, good afternoon. I’m here for an appointment.”

“What time, Sir?”

“1:15. The name is Olumide Makinde.”

He stared at his wristwatch. Half past two. Traffic in Lagos was really something else. The traffic lights weren’t helping at all.

“Alright, you’re here for a wedding fitting. Climb the staircase, the second door on the right.”

He climbed the staircase, coming to a row of wooden doors on the right. He opened the second door and stepped into a bright room.

Two black settees were against one width of the wall. On the opposite side was a moveable cloth rack with various clothes on it. A man stood beside a mirror with a measuring tape in his hand while a little girl ran from one end of the room to the other, spreading out her arms as she ran.

“Where are the rest of the guys?”

“Thank God, you’re here.” Yetunde said.

She stood. His eyes ran down her gold sequin shirt on a tight fitted red skirt with fluffy slippers.

“Why are you here?” Olumide asked.

“I came for my fitting. I’m the bridesmaid.”

“Okay... Where my friends?”

“They left. Why are you late?”

“I was working.”

He entered into the room as Modupe hugged him around the legs. He picked her up and held her in his arms, smiling down at her. Her hair was braided, with each individual strand  pulled into a ponytail atop her head ending in columns of colourful cuboid beads.

“Alright, I’m ready for you, ma.” The tailor said.

Yetunde dropped her dark green purse and phone on the chair, rising to her feet, walking over to where the tailor stood. Olumide sat in the chair she vacated. It was still warm. A large cream hand bag sat beside her purse. Cream was not Yetunde’s type of colour.

“So, they just left you like that?”

He waited for an answer. It came after several minutes, like she had a delay in hearing.

“Victoria was here. She just left to check the ring shop your mom recommended.”

The ring shop. Of course, he hadn’t forgotten how his mother went on and on about how unique the woman’s designs were and how she couldn’t wait to get a new set of matching ring bands for herself and his father.

He set Modupe down and she turned away from him, sitting on the chair and picking up Yetunde’s phone.

“Dupe, I thought I told you not to touch that phone?”

“But Aunty Yetunde, I just want to play candy crush.”

“Drop it.” Yetunde sent Modupe a stern look.

The girl cast the phone aside, frowning and folding her arms. She reminded him so much of little Yetunde, back when he still thought of her as a little girl.

He sat down, running his hand over his face. He had made so many stupid decisions and there was no way to undo any of them. Like leaving the pictures on the table. He had never been concerned about who shared Romola’s pictures until that girl had mentioned it. Now, curiosity ate him alive.