3: Iya Tobi arrives

Romola frowned at the rain streaming down the glass pane at the back room of the store. Of all the Fridays that she had to wait for Iya Tobi, it had to be this one. And even worse, it had to be at the Itire store. Her eyes strayed towards the open door that led out of the staff room to the store.

Mrs. Bunmi and Mr. Ola were at it again and this time, she could almost swear that someone would take off the other person's head. Rosemary seemed oblivious to the war happening around her. The girl danced across the store, spinning on one leg and pointing sideways as she swayed her hips. A scratchy version of  the song she listened to bled from her old ear piece. A sliver of a smile crossed Romola's face.

There was a time when she was like Rosemary.

So free.

So happy.

But now it seemed like the whole world rested on her shoulders and her bones were beginning to crack.

"You rat, I don't know why you still work here."

"Fat oaf."

"Dirty pig."

The words Bunmi and Ola threw at each other buzzed like an annoying irritation in the back of her mind but she did not move. She had tried her best to keep them apart and if they decided that they wanted to tear themselves apart on the day Iya Tobi would arrive for inspection, then it was better. Maybe Iya Tobi would fire one of them and the store would finally have peace.

Romola waited to hear what Bunmi's reply would be but it never came. Instead a thick voice replied. "Ehen, so this is what you people do in my absence."

Romola rose. Her eyes scanned the staff room to make sure that all was in order. Convinced that all was where it should be, she smoothed her dress, checked her face in the mirror that hung close to the small window and wore a confident smile to greet her boss. She stepped out of the room in time to see Iya Tobi advance towards Rosemary. The poor girl was still thrashing her arms widely.

"Rose." Romola whispered but Iya Tobi's hand landed on the girl's back first.

Rosemary fell forward, her phone crashing on the tiled floor. She stumbled into a shelf, knocking some things to the floor as she screamed. Rosemary arched her back as she reached back to soothe the place that had been hit.

"Is this what I pay you to do? So if customers come in her, they will see you dancing like masquerade and then what?" The folds of Iya Tobi's cheeks danced as she barked at Rosemary. She raised her hands and the fats around it swirled. "And where is Moromola?"

"Yes ma," Romola hurried to the woman.

Iya Tobi handed her a black Gucci bag. Romola held the bag and tried to remember when she had seen Iya Tobi with  this bag. It had to be a new one. Another bag that Iya Tobi would use for a few months, then dump on the shelf before pushing it off to an unsuspecting customer as a discounted product.

"Why are these ones arguing?"

"I don't know ma. I—"

"And why are these cans of malt not stacked in a pyramid. And these packs of drinks, who will put them on the shelves?"

"Ma, I just—"

"Why do I have you if I have to do everything by myself?" Iya Tobi stared her in the eyes.

Romola lowered her gaze. It was easier to concede to Iya Tobi's demand than to try to justify her actions. "I'll put the in their places,"

"When you're done, bring the books to my room."

"Ma, I can do it." Mr. Ola stepped forward. "I studied accounting, you know. And I have passed my ICAN exams."

Iya Tobi waved him away. "Rose, you better put those things back on the shelf. If you want to be a masquerade, go to your village. Not in my shop. Romola, hurry up. I have somewhere to be in a few minutes."

"Take your time, darling. I'm not in a hurry." A tall bad man with fair skin and bright brown eyes walked into the store. He took off his shades as he walked to Iya Tobi and placed a kiss on her lips.

"Good afternoon sir,"

"Good afternoon, Mr Akin."

Romola and the rest of the staff greeted him.

Mr. Akin smiled at all the faces before his gaze rested on Romola. He placed his hand around her shoulder and drew her to his side.

"Ha, Romola. It's been a while. How have you been?"

"I've been okay. And you?"

"Very well. You see, my wife takes good care of me." He tapped the bridge of her nose with his thumb. "You and Rosemary should learn from her. Be good wives to your husbands."

Romola's smile faded but she nodded at his words. Husband was not a word that existed in her dictionary.

Mr. Akin left Romola and placed his hand around Rosemary's shoulder.  "Ah, my first born. What happened? Why are you crying?"

"Would you believe what I saw this stupid girl doing?" Iya Tobi screamed.

Rosemary bit her thumb. If Iya Tobi continued her tirade, Rosemary would flood the store with her tears. Romola caught Iya Tobi's hand and pulled her towards the main office. And past the staff store room. "Ma, I have a few things to tell you."

She opened the door and dropped Iya Tobi's bag on the desk in the middle of the room. She procured a cold can of malt from the refrigerator. She set about helping Iya Tobi to take off her sandals. The sandal straps were stretched around Iya Tobi's calf and the wrong move would snap them off.

"The books, Romola."

"They are on the table, ma." Romola pushed the book towards Iya Tobi.
She spent thirty minutes explaining the purchases and trying to save Mr. Ola's head where she could. Where she couldn't, she let Iya Tobi rant on. Any disadvantage Mr. Ola suffered would favour her in the long run. She rounded off her explanation with a smile as she analysed the store's increased revenue. 

Iya Tobi sighed, lifting her head from the swivel chair and rubbing sleep from her eyes. "Next time, explain shorter. Time is money."

"Yes ma." Romola nodded. She opened her mouth then shut it again. She had prepped the older woman up but she had to phrase her words well.

Iya Tobi took off her peruvian wig before glancing at Romola. "Why are you still standing here?"

"Erm, ma, I've been wanting to talk to you about something very important."

"If it has to do with money, forget it. I've been strapped for cash since this Corona thing started. Running multiple stores takes money."

"The stores also make money." Romola frowned.

A new wig and a new bag but the woman didn't have money. Romola almost laughed. She balanced Iya Tob';s accounts monthly and she certainly was no fool. A raise was her only hope of completing the online accounting classes. It was either that or she spent the rest of her life as Iya tobi's underpaid PA and the second choice was not an option.

"Think of it as an investment, ma."