22. Impaitence vs. Perseverance

Week 1 College Football:Bowling Green vs

Bowling Green vs. UCLA Bruins

"You're going to go out there and give them hell!" Coach Flores shouts. The boys roared their agreement, chanting the Bruins football team chant.

My phone's ping was barely heard over the shouts. Quickly opening the screen, I saw a text from Red.

      Red: Good luck, baby. I'm cheering for you digitally. *heart emoji*

The smile on my face only got wider as I read the message over and over. If I wasn't mistaken, this was the first time my girl called me anything but my name.

Baby.

I like the sound of that.

"Petrov!" Coach Reynolds gets my attention and I immediately put my phone down. The moment I met his gaze, the warning in them was unmistakable. "Let's go!"

Right.

No fuckups on our first game day but seeing my girl's text only boosted my confidence.

When she left two days ago, it took me a moment to fall back into the mindset of not seeing her every day. Like our summer break before we started college. But I stuck with her all the way to the airport and made her promise to call me when she landed.

My heart changed into an erratic beat when she was boarding but she expressed her love to me before she left and it somewhat made the need for her fade. That night, I went home and watched videos of the opposing team.

Bowling Green Falcons.

A good team that went to three MAC Championship games with some winning seasons. But now, they've been in some trouble in their last games. Their offense hasn't been beneficial to their games and it makes it harder on their defense, which is trying to make corrections to their errors.

One of the best things that I'm good at is finding a weak spot. It was, no matter how big or small it was. If I find it, it's over.

While I do not mean to come across as a haughty brat, Vaughn—who for the most part I thought to be my father—pushed me to complete my homework over the years I have been playing, and by homework I mean learning every little detail there is to know about each player. And not just on the opposite team but on my own team. It had it's pros and cons but in most cases, it also had it's advantages.

But it was important to know who was strong and weak in certain areas.

Getting away from Reynolds harsh stare, I walked over to the other players who were whooping loudly. Kelvin was beside me, dressed in the same uniforms that represented our school colors.

"For the win." He held up a fist, waiting for me to dab.

"For a win." I dabbed and slipped on my helmet.