7. Balancing

I exhaled with shaky fingers

I exhaled with shaky fingers. It was Saturday and this morning made me nervous. This was it. Day one of meeting the coach that had their eye on me from Durant.

I was more nervous than I should be.

Researching before you jump into a new situation did well for you. I heard that Coach Roberts, the head coach of the soccer team, was a hard ass.

He didn't take shit from anyone. I heard he even hate the person that's talking to him at that specific moment. Disliked excuses.

Sometimes, I'd wonder what he saw in me when he did talk to Coach Daniels -my high school coach- about me.

Arriving at the assigned field, I noticed from the distance that there were a group of girls stretching. I frowned and looked down at the time. Seven-fifteen. The email I received was to be here by seven-thirty. I hurried to the field and make my way over to where the rest of the girls were.

A girl with dark curly hair, up in a messy bun and flawless chocolate skin in noticed me. The girl beside her had blonde hair and two big braids going down her back. The blonde-haired girl smiles and stood from the place where she was stretching.

"Morning," she greets, causing the other girls to look at me.

"M-Morning," I stammered, nervous at the attention. "I'm Genevieve but most people call me Gen."

"Nice to meet you, Gen. I'm Amber and that's Willow." she points to the girl beside her who waves. I wave back. "I'll introduce you to the rest of the girls. Come on."

"Is that an accent I detect?" I question. I noticed it was much thicker with her last words.

"Yes. Australian."

My brows shoot up in surprise. "Did you leave Australia to come to the US?"

"I wanted to see what it was like in America while I finish out the rest of my college years. I plan to return in hopes I make it to the league."

I grinned. "You and me both." Wordlessly, I followed her around while taking in the rest of the girls. They all spoke, and despite the few who took the competition seriously, they weren't at all bad.

A whistle blows, and we all jump in surprise. All our attention turns to two adult males and a female with coaching attire on. All three of them have firm looks on their faces as they observe us.

"I'm Coach Miles," the taller man with tanned skin and dark brown locks says before gesturing over to the other man and woman. "This is Coach Roberts and assistant coach Elaine. Today isn't going to be simple. The first day is all about showing what you've got. They are here to see if you're worth their time."

Coach Miles' eyes then drifted behind us, and I risked a turn to see a girl with flawless dark skin running this way towards us in a loose-fit oversize shirt and shorts with a bag in her hand. Her long, dark hair is in disarray, and she comes to a stop behind one of the other girls as if trying to be discreet.