14. Catching Up

Relief washed over me the second I twisted the knob to my dorm room

Relief washed over me the second I twisted the knob to my dorm room. It's been two days since I saw Vaughn and got into a heated conversation with my sister.

Despite her wishes to stay and try to have my back, I got her that plane ticket along with the snobby boy she liked. I could care less about his name. They both needed to go back to Durant and focus on their work.

And I was going to stay focused on my work.

My girl, football, and school.

Vaughn might be here for any number of reasons, but I highly doubt one of them is that he loves me. He wants to talk, and there's no doubt that lies are going to come from him. I cleared everything away with a quick shake of my head.

No. I wasn't going to let myself worry about anything that concerned Vaughn Petrov.

Closing the door behind me, I come into contact with silence. It was not a surprise considering that my roommates are either in class or sleeping. After locking the door, I make my way into my room and shut the door. Just then, I received a call from the special girl I hadn't heard from in hours.

"Hello?" Her soft voice was calming to me in an instant. "Mercer?" she calls, and I realize I was taking a while to answer.

"Hey, Red," I reply as I toss myself on the bed, relaxing for a minute before I get comfortable.

"Hi," I can hear her smile. "How are you? It's been a minute since I heard your voice."

I closed my eyes tightly for a split second. I wished that she was here with me. I have never refused my baby's advice, and if she were here right now, she would realize how much I need it.

For that split second, I considered telling her about Jules sneaking to see me and Vaughn moving to California.

Then again, I didn't want to bother her with what was going on in my life and steal her focus. From everything she has told me, college life for her is going well.

"Mercer?" The concern in her voice breaks me away from my thoughts.

This was my chance.

"Yeah, Red." I sigh. "I have just been busy with practice and classes."

She takes a moment before responding. "What's really going on, Mercer?"

Despite trying to hide it, my girl always knows. Besides, I don't think I was putting much effort into sounding fine.

But my thoughts remain. I don't need her to worry about me.

"It's nothing that I can't handle, baby. I'm just stressed out with my classes and practice."

"Is your coach still being an asshole?" She scoffs, making it obvious that she despises coach Reynolds. She has been coming to my defense ever since I told her how some of the players, including myself, have been receiving different treatment. It only made my love for her intensify.