chapter 8

It had been two weeks since Carina had revealed their love affair in spite of herself. No one understood how they could argue so much about an intervention and yet seem to be crazy about each other when they were at the barracks, even though they avoided any sign of affection as much as possible or even outside the barracks. Because now that it was no longer a secret, they allowed themselves to go out with Maya's friends, those who were once her colleagues from the A-team.

At the barracks they tried to avoid affectionate gestures towards each other, but sometimes they couldn't help it. A hand sliding down the other's back when they met, little glances that made their cheeks redden, and Carina's sometimes too maternal side, wiping Maya's lips with her thumb when she was eating French toast or pastries covered with powdered sugar.

Obviously nobody was fooled, when the door of the captain's office was closed and they were both inside and they were not yelling at each other for what had just happened on an intervention, it was often that Maya had her buttocks leaning against her desk, her arms around Carina's waist who was between her legs, her hands on the cheeks of the blonde and they were kissing. They could kiss for dozens of minutes, nothing else existed around. They could kiss sensually like that, until someone knocked on the door or the firehouse alarm sounded.

That was what had made them take off their embrace today. They were in that position they often had and kissed sensually, their jaws going slowly when the alarm had sounded and at the same time Maya's phone had rung.

It had rung but not any ringing, the Italian was going to complain when the first notes had started after the vibrator. Immediately they had stepped back from each other and Maya had picked up the phone.

-"Chief Ross? Yes... Yes of course... Yes, yes no problem... Yes I'll tell her... Alright, we're on our way" she had hung up.

- "What the..."

- "there's a candy company that caught fire and started to collapse, all available Seattle teams are needed"

- "for a candy factory?"

- "it was open doors, they have over a thousand people trapped inside, the beams holding the building up at the entrances collapsed, and they can't get to the back warehouse to evacuate. Carina, she told me to ask you to load as much material as possible into the PRT. Obviously the orphanage was nothing compared to what's happening now."

-"Oh no, you've got to be kidding me... That orphanage finished me off..."

- "I'll be there this time"

They were off. Maya was already on the road with the entire A-team and Carina was loading as many supplies as possible into the PRT today Jackson Avery was the doctor who had volunteered and she again had Theo Ruiz to drive the PRT and as a firefighter to help them.

They had finally been able to leave the station and had made their way to where the factory was. When they got there, six stations were in place, including Station 19. Chief Ross came directly to Carina.

- "Dr. DeLuca, how is it going on 19?"

- "Very well, thank you."

- "and with Captain Bishop?"

- "she is a very good captain"

- "okay, don't try to protect her. She's a hothead, I've got my eye on her. She likes to have things under her control."

- "I think that's normal, I'm here for six months, but she doesn't know if she'll be able to continue to rely on an PRT after I'm gone."

- "the results are on track. And I'll tell you, today is going to be a bit of a make-or-break day.... Maybe I shouldn't tell you this because I don't want to put pressure on you, but we're this close to getting past Tacoma." She pointed with her index finger and thumb to 'a little'.