"We have to go with him." Neteyam said instantly, falling into the role of warrior he had earned back in the Halleluiah Mountains.  

"No." Ao'nung said. Looking at him frustratedly, Neteyam raised his eyebrows, why was Ao'nung disagreeing? Surely their personal problems wouldn't make him so petty.

"You would back down from a fight to protect our home? Is your father not the Olo'eytkan?" Neteyam challenged him, standing up straight to fold his arms. The calm expression on Ao'nung's face morphed into fury. 

"My home being in danger is your fault for a start." Neteyam saw Lo'ak straighten up, ready to defend their family. Neteyam didn't back down. 

"Did I not volunteer to defend it just then?" Neteyam didn't know where his tone came from, but he was not going to let Ao'nung hold him back, no matter how cowardly the other was. 

"While I'm sure you would make all the difference in a battle against the Sky People's many ships and unknown weapons, your parents have already ordered your siblings to stay." Ao'nung told him, sarcasm evident in his dig to Neteyam. Why was he being like this? Neteyam wanted to help defend the Metkayina just as much as he wanted to save his own life, Ao'nung surely couldn't value his life over the whole village's? Neteyam looked to his brother. 

"Well, lucky I wasn't here for that." Despite his confidence, Neteyam was silently hoping Lo'ak would volunteer too, and was not disappointed. 

"Me." Lo'ak said, nodding to his brother, who grinned back. Tsireya whipped her head towards Lo'ak, and he face became terrified. 

"Lo'ak-" she grabbed his arm again, and he shook her off. 

"I'll be fine, I can't let Neteyam go alone." Lo'ak told her, trying to ease her expression. While her face only pleaded more, she didn't attempt to grab him again. 

"When dad finds out," Kiri said, looking at her brothers "you won't have a brother to accompany." Neteyam knew she wasn't wrong. 

"Well, let's be quick." Lo'ak said, running back to their marui with Neteyam close on his heels. 

(Ao'nung POV)

"No." Ao'nung surprised himself with how fast he responded. Before he could even remember that Neteyam was no longer courting with him, Ao'nung had reflexively disagreed. No, Neteyam couldn't put himself at risk. Ao'nung still loved him, there was no point lying to himself, but the best he could do now is make sure Neteyam was safe. 

"You would back down from a fight to protect our home? Is your father not the Olo'eytkan?" Ao'nung felt himself grow hot at the implied cowardice. Instantly, Ao'nung felt himself close off, somehow forgetting what he felt for Neteyam.

"My home being in danger is your fault for a start." Not quite a lie, Ao'nung knew it would've been a matter of time otherwise.  But he was digging, trying to make Neteyam feel something, the way children fought and made things up to hurt each other's feelings. Shutting down the analogy, Ao'nung's anger didn't dissipate when Neteyam said 

"Did I not volunteer to defend it just then?" Yes of course he did. Of course, the perfect warrior Neteyam, son of Toruk Makto, selflessly volunteering to defend a home that wasn't his own. It made Ao'nung even angrier. 

"While I'm sure you would make all the difference in a battle against the Sky People's many ships and unknown weapons, your parents have already ordered your siblings to stay." He knew the words weren't true, their parents hadn't told them to stay put, but Ao'nung was willing to bet that the strict Sully father was not huge on his kids jumping into a potentially fatal battle. His assumption was proved right when he saw Neteyam's bold expression falter, while Kiri and Lo'ak sharply turned to Ao'nung. They seemed to know Ao'nung was lying but wasn't incorrect.  

"Well, lucky I wasn't here for that." Unbelievable. Ao'nung could not believe him. Could Neteyam not see he was trying to keep him safe? Would Neteyam really be willing to put himself at such risk, especially against his parents directions? Of course he would, Ao'nung thought, now angry again. Neteyam always had to be perfect, and for what? His father was not the chief here, and Neteyam's family knew nothing beyond what Ao'nung and Tsireya had taught them. In other words, they were next to useless. Neteyam needed to prove himself. This jaded thought process was cut short at the sound of Lo'ak announcing he would join his brother. Realising there really was no end to the stubborn stupidity, Ao'nung glanced to his sister as she protested to Lo'ak. There was definitely more to the pair than met the surface, but Ao'nung was only met with a more acute feeling of desperation when Tsireya released Lo'ak's arm.

"When dad finds out," Kiri interjected, eyes widening at her brothers  "you won't have a brother to accompany." Ao'nung was inclined to support her statement, but Neteyam brushed it off instantly, and ran off with Lo'ak. Kiri picked up Tuk, talking to her quietly, and Ao'nung confronted Tsireya. 

"They can't go, they will-" Tsireya's eyes and his own mind didn't let him finish that sentence. 

"Those two are the most stubbornly brave boys I have met, no short feat with you as a brother." She smiled sadly, and Ao'nung almost tore his hair out with frustration. He didn't know why he cared, angry as he was at Neteyam for... whatever reason. 

(I know someone knows where this is going)