Chapter 39: A Stinging Realization

Start from the beginning

"I'm sure she could. Just be careful on your way there."

"Thank you, I will," Zelda answered. The emptiness in her stomach had disappeared, having now moved to sit in the depths of her heart. Disregarding whatever snack she would have found, she left the counter and headed back to the stairs. The moment she placed her foot on the first step though, she paused and glanced back at Link. "Do be careful on your way to the castle... please."

"I'll be as careful as I can. Don't worry."

With a slight nod, Zelda disappeared up the stairs, leaving Link alone once more.

Days passed and slowly the powdered snow began to loosen up. Though it remained thick and high, with the help of the wind and a few heaves from Link pushing against the door, the wall of snow moved aside, allowing them freedom from the home. With the door now open, Zelda prepared herself the following morning, dressing in preparation to head to the inn. Instead of just her usual dress, she had pulled her old white and furry royal winter gear out from the dresser, choosing to take the cloak to wrap over her shoulders and the pants and boots for underneath the long skirt.

With her tight black pants now hugging her legs and her dress now covering them, she wrapped the furry cloak around her before beginning to tie it. As she tied, she glanced over at the window over the bed. Though most of it was still covered, the snow at the very top had blown away, allowing very faint rays of light to shine through the glass pane. She stared at the rays of light, pausing her fingers for just a moment to watch them glimmer before giving a gentle sigh. There just wasn't much she could do; she knew she wouldn't be the only one leaving the house today.

Finishing the knot on her cloak, she headed down the stairs, stopping when she got to the bottom to look around the room. Just like the window upstairs, the ones on the first floor also had begun to clear, letting the faint morning light in to brighten the room. Thanks to this, the fire had been put out and the place had even been tidied up, though the person she assumed had done the cleaning was still sitting at the dining table. If she hadn't known any better, she would've thought a spirit had cleaned up for him.

"I'll be on my way then," she said. After Link nodded, she went to the door and placed her hands on the freezing handle. Before she pulled, though, she looked back one last time. "Are you sure this is what you want to do?"

"It's not about what I want to do, Zelda," Link said firmly, still staring at the wall of weapons. "This is what I have to do. I hope you'll come to understand that."

"And I hope you'll come to understand why I can't," she replied quietly. "Please... make it back safely."

"I will."

After a second of hesitation, Zelda pulled the door open and disappeared into the snow. She closed the door behind her and rested her back against its wooden front. As cold as it was outside (even with all of her extra clothing), nothing was as cold as the fear inside her chest. After a few more moments, she closed her eyes in an attempt to control the tears forming in their corners before forcing her boots through the thick snow.

From inside the home, Link's ears twitched from the kitchen table, listening to the fading crunch of snow. The moment the sound disappeared completely, he took a breath of his own. It was time. He sat at the table for a minute longer, taking in the sight of the weapons on the wall, etching every detail into his memory before standing. After pushing the kitchen chair in, he headed to and up the staircase.

She hadn't taken the slate with her. She must've known had she brought it out, he would've taken it from her. He knew she couldn't have taken it outside the house; the snow was far too deep for her to go elsewhere by the time she had made the decision to hide it. It had to be here. He slowly walked through the loft, eying every piece of furniture carefully. The writing desk, the dresser, the bed- his eyes inspected them all before landing on the nightstand.