Nurse Lane

Third POV

Ziggy walked across the field to Nurse Lane. On the field campers we're making flags and getting t-shirts ready for tonight's Color War.

"Hey, Color War begins tonight, guys! Line up and grab a shirt! Do you have a shirt?"

"Blue is for beautiful, if you live in Shadyside. Red is for radiance, if you live in Sunnyvale. Despite our differences, we're all perfect!"

Joan threw a blue shirt at Ziggy who catches it and looks at Joan.

"Even you Ziggy Berman."

Ziggy rolled her eyes and continued walking to Nurse Lane office.

"Nurse Lane! Hello!" Ziggy yelled as she walked around the cabin, "I'm in trouble again. Help. Nurse Lane, come on! I could die any minute now. Nurse Lane." Ziggy yelled again as she looked before she noticed the Nurses office door open.

"Nurse Lane?" Ziggy said as she walked inside the office and spotted a book on Nurse Lane desk that had witches markings.

"What are you doing?"

Ziggy turned around to see Nurse Lane, "Oh my god! Nurse Lane you scared the shit out of me. Are you okay?" Ziggy asked as she ran her fingers through her hair that Nurse Lane spotted the burn on Ziggy arm.

"Oh my goodness. Ziggy, Ziggy, Ziggy. What did we do now?" Nurse Lane said helping Ziggy over to one of the beds. Ziggy sat down on the bed watching as Nurse Lane took out some cream and applied it to the burn.

"Okay so you are gonna apply this once a day for three days, okay? It's gonna protect it against infection." Nurse Lane instructed.

"It's gross." Ziggy said. Nurse Lane sighed, "You'll survive." Nurse Lane replied.

"So, umm... what's the Witch's Mark?" Ziggy curiously asked. Nurse Lane looked at her, "You know about my daughter, right? Ruby Lane?" Nurse Lane asked.

"Uh... I don't-"

Nurse Lane interrupts Ziggy, "Of course you do. Everyone talks, I know. Tell me, what do they say?" Nurse Lane asked.

"Uh, umm... they say she, uh, she killed people at a party. Seven friends." Ziggy answered, "Eight." Nurse Lane corrected."

"She killed herself that night too. Ruby was such a sweet girl. Oh Ruby was such a sweet girl. She had a sweet voice. She was in choir. She wanted to be a singer. I was so proud of her." Nurse Lane took out some bandages and started to wrap Ziggy burn mark, "The doctors say it was a psychotic episode, that she just snapped. But the kids. The kids say Sarah Fier made her do it."

"That's a little tight." Ziggy said at the tightness of the bandage, "What do you think?" Nurse Lane asked.

"I don't-"

"Cause I think you don't go from being a sweet girl with dreams to ripping someone's insides out with a switchblade."

"Nurse Lane!"

"People usually kill for a reason, and sometimes that reason is justified. Sometimes killing isn't murder. Sometimes it's necessary."

"Nurse Lane that's kind of hurting me."

"Sometimes it is good."

"Nurse Lane." Ziggy shouts snapping Nurse Lane out of her rambling. She looked at Ziggy as she handed her the cream for her burn, "Once a day for three days, okay?" Nurse Lane instructs.

The door opens showing Cindy walking in.

"Hi, Nurse Lane." Cindy says with a small smile. Ziggy gets off from the bed and looked at her sister.

"Hi, Cindy." Nurse Lane said.

"Ziggy." Cindy said turning her attention to her younger sister, "You realize what happens if you get kicked out, right? How awful that would be for me?" Cindy asked as the two sisters leave Nurse Lane cabin.

"Did someone do something to Nurse Lane? Like make fun of her daughter or something?" Ziggy asked ignoring Cindy question, "Ziggy are you listening to me?" Cindy asked growing frustrated.

"She was upset." Ziggy said, "I don't care! I.... do you hear what I'm saying to you?" Cindy asked.

"Loud and clear." Ziggy said sarcastically answered

"Well clearly you don't because we had this conversation last week and the week before that." Cindy reminds her, "Yeah and I'm not gonna get kicked out." Ziggy confidently tells her.

"That's not what Kurt thinks." Cindy said making Ziggy scoff, "Yeah well Kurt can suck it" Ziggy said unbothered. Cindy grabs Ziggy elbow and turned her around to face her.

"No! Ziggy no! If you get kicked out, I do too. Mom can't work and take care of you. Then how will I pay for college, huh?" Cindy said making Ziggy laugh.

"Oh, that's funny to you?" Cindy asked, "Yeah, kinda." Ziggy agreed and continued walking away.

Cindy chased after Ziggy, "Explain to me what's so funny?"

"How dumb you are. No one gets out of this town not even Ms. Perfect. Bet in you're way out you get run over by a bus." Ziggy tells her, "Once in you're life, could you just not be so... so mean?" Cindy asked.

Ziggy turned around to face Cindy.

"Could once in you're life you just stop pretending? You're Shadyside. In case you forgot." Ziggy reminds her picking up a blue shirt and throwing it to Cindy.