Chapter 8 - Car Accident

Start from the beginning

When he opened the door of the ward, he saw Yuan Yucheng resting in bed. Yuan Xi's heart, which had been lodged in his throat, returned to its position.*

*To have your heart in your throat refers to the feeling of tightness in your throat when you are nervous, anxious, and/or frightened. So, Yuan Xi was anxious, but calmed upon seeing Uncle Yuan.

This was a single room, and the condition [of the room] was very good. The bed was tilted at a 45 degree angle, [allowing] Yuan Yucheng to lean on it [comfortably]. He looked the same as usual; there was no obvious [sign of] serious injury on his body.

Yuan Yucheng was not a person good at expressing emotions; he was even ordinarily somewhat wooden [in expression and personality]. However, he smiled when he saw Yuan Xi and said: "[There's] no emergency, I'm alright. [Such] a big fuss for just a little scratch."

Although he already knew that he (YYC) was okay, Yuan Xi was really relieved to hear Yuan Yucheng say that. At that moment, he was finally in the mood to look around.

Translated by lazysoozan () at bbmtls.wordpress.com

There were three people in the ward: an old man with half a head of hair who appeared 60 or 70 years old, a middle-aged man with a slightly fat figure, and a young girl with a ponytail.

Seeing Yuan Xi enter [the room], the chubby middle-aged man hurried over, grabbed Yuan Xi's hand, and said: "Child, are you my elder brother's son? Ah! You don't know. Thanks to the elder brother! If it hadn't been for his help and sense of justice, my old father would have...surely..." His voice began to choke and he did not finish his sentence.

The young girl hurried to hold him up. Her beautiful face was full of gratitude, with a little guilt and fear [as well].

They all sat down before Yuan Xi, and only then did he learn the whole story.

This family's surname was Wang. Yuan Xi was right; Wang Lao was already 80 years old. There was no big breakthrough in [mitigating] human aging in the future. Although many disease can be cured, they could not resist aging and the exhaustion of the body. 100 years is already a venerable age. So, although Wang Lao was not sick, he was very old at the age of 80, and his [body's] physical functions were not keeping up.

His granddaughter, Wang Xueqing, originally helped him [go] out for a walk, but Wang Xueqing [received a phone call and] was distracted when she answered the phone. It was not much fun for Wang Lao to just stand there; look at a seat across the road, he wanted to rest.

Although he was old, he had always been in good health. He thought crossing the street wouldn't be a problem. Who knew, he couldn't stop the car blind.*

*他没问题可挡不住车子不长眼

However, Wang Lao is old after all. He couldn't keep up with his physical reactions nor could he hide from it. When Wang Xueqing heard the honks and looked at the crossway, he was too far away. Thanks to Yuan Yucheng, Wang Lao was saved by a tackle. In order to protect Wang Lao, he threw his whole back on the ground and fainted.

At first glance, the injuries seemed so serious that Cai Wen, who passed by, was scared half to death. He immediately notified the hospital pick up the people [involved], and then rushed to find Yuan Xi.

But when they arrived at the hospital, they realized [the injuries] were all skin injuries (contusions and bruises) and that Wang Lao was alright.

The driver who caused the accident was scared. The car was detained by the traffic police and people were taken in for interrogation.