Chapter Thirty Eight

Lucas had said he didn't have many friends, but the number of children running around Gabriel's house right now rivaled that statement. I don't know if it's the cake making all of them hyper, but they all suddenly decided it was time to play.

Most of the children are playing hide and seek and since Gabriel doesn't mind, I don't mind as well.

Apparently, Gabriel's sister came to visit her family, so he invited her to Lucas' party. She is fun to be around and the children love her as well. They love her a little too much which is why she is currently playing hide and seek with them. At least, there's an adult with them to make sure things don't get out of hand.

Lucas has been acting mischievous all day, so it's a good thing she's with them.

My parents are also present, along with Gabriel's two friends. Since they're very busy people and won't have time in the near future, he invited them so I'd meet them.

It's Lucas' party, but there are a lot of adults present. All my friends are present, even Belle and Marcus from work, you'd think it's my party Gabriel is celebrating.

I don't mind though. It gives Gabriel and I people to hang out with while the kids play.

Unlike when Gabriel went out with my department for drinks, Belle and Marcus aren't tense around him. They're even speaking casually with him like he's not their boss. Belle says her friend's boyfriend is also her friend and it happens to apply to my boyfriend.

"Do you know that Aria met Gabriel at a bar?" Heather spills. Oh, I forgot to add that I am the subject of their gossip right now as they're having a fun time teasing me. "Right there and then, he offered her a job."

I take a deep breath, glaring at my friend as I settle further into Gabriel's body. We're all settled around the living room and Gabriel and I are sharing the loveseat, which means I'm sitting between his legs. "Way to go, Heather. Thanks for betraying me."

"Oops." She giggles unapologetically.

"No wonder Nessa wanted to rip her head off," Belle comments. "It must have been love at first sight for you, Gabriel, right? I saw the way you were looking at her ever since she started."

"What if I was just touched by her story?"

Stefan snorts. "It was definitely love at first sight. The next week, Gabriel couldn't stop whining about how he'd found the love of his life."

Everyone chuckles, Gabriel and I being the only exception. "Don't you guys have anything better to do than gossip about my girlfriend and I?"

"Girlfriend?" Dave arches an eyebrow. "Thought you'd have made her your wife by now."

For some reason, his words make everyone's eyes settle on me as if watching my reaction. I blush under their gaze. "In the nearest future."

Dave winks at me. "It's nearer than you think."

I cock my head at him curiously. "What do you mean?"

"Yeah, Dave," Gabriel spits out in a hard voice. "What do you mean?"

Dave shakes his head and fakes zipping his mouth shut, not saying anything else, but the topic doesn't leave my head.

To be Gabriel's wife.

I won't lie and say I've not thought about it before. The idea is appealing, but it's still a bit weird getting married to my boss. In all my months of working at DH Tech, I don't think there's any married couple working there. Sure, some have flings and all, but they were usually kept secret.

For once, I think the topic has shifted from us to Racheal's new fling, but as soon as she starts explaining how they started dating, Marcus shifts the conversation back to Gabriel and I. "Aria, you never told us how you started dating the boss, did you?" I shoot him a glare that has him coughing and looking elsewhere. "Or maybe, she did. Yeah, I think she did," is his pathetic way of taking his words back, but it's too late.

"No, she didn't," Belle cuts in again. "One day, they weren't together. The next day, they were. If I remember correctly, it was over a certain weekend, was it not?"

I huff. "What is it with y'all's obsession when it comes to Gabriel and I?"

"We're just curious," Stefan answers, and from the grin on his face, I can tell he already knows how Gabriel and I began dating. "Why don't you tell us?"

I roll my eyes, about to tell him off when Lucas comes barreling into the living room. "Mommy, mommy, look what I found!" He exclaims excitedly, throwing an object into my hand. "I think Gabriel is going to propose to you!"

Silence.

There's a deafening silence as I hold the tiny box in my hands, opening it to reveal a diamond ring. I gasp, shutting it back immediately. "Where did you find this?"

"I was hiding in your and Gabriel's closet and I felt something poke me. The ring is pretty, isn't it?"

I turn around slowly to face Gabriel, but his eyes are trained on my face, watching my reaction. "Are you freaked out?" He asks carefully and I'm quick to shake my head, no.

"Is it for me?" I confirm.

Gabriel looks offended by the question and it makes me laugh. "Who else would it be for? Are you serious?"

"I'll be getting married to my boss."

"I won't be your boss anymore." He frowns.

"You won't."

"You now have that company, remember?" I nod, remembering that night again when he made me accept the company. Now, I can't go back on my words. "You can start running it after our engagement party."

I smile coyly. "We aren't engaged yet though."

"Right," Gabriel chuckles, taking the ring from my hand. He pats my thigh and I stand up, giving him room to stand as well. I know what he's about to do but I can't help but cover my mouth in surprise as he goes down on one knee.

"I knew it!" Lucas shouts and one of my friends shushes him, I'm not sure who.

"Aria," Gabriel starts, but I don't let him say another word as he opens the box to reveal the ring again.

"Yes."

"Yes?" He laughs.

"Of course, yes!" He shakes his head, a fond smile on his lips as he puts the ring on my finger. As soon as he does, there are shouts and hoots of excitement from our friends behind us. I'd forgotten they were present. I was so focused on Gabriel and the idea that I'll be getting married to him.

My friends congratulate me. His friends pat him on the back. Lucas' friends are happy for him. My parents rush in when they hear the news and congratulate me as well. It'll be my second marriage, but at least, my parents will be present for this one. What was once Lucas' birthday turns into a celebration of some sort for Gabriel and I.

It's overwhelming, but I can't stop the smile on my face.

"It's you, Lucas, and I for life." I hear Gabriel say as she slides his arms around me from the back.

"Yeah?"

"Yeah," he kisses the top of my head. "And any other mini you we make in the process."

For some reason, I believe him.

THE END