Chapter Eight

"Me." He replies unblinking.

I don't know what to say. I look at him from head to toe. He's dressed in a three-piece suit and his tie is in place, unlike the last time I saw him. His hair is jelled backward and his eyes are a perfect mix of blue and green. He has a tattoo on his left middle finger that I didn't notice the night before. It's the drawing of a crown. I wonder what it means.

Gabriel hums, the sound bringing my eyes back to his face. I watch as his eyes trail appreciatively across my body. "At least, you're not wearing a half-wet shirt this time."

"What the fuck?" I ask, standing up from the chair. He watches me, amused, and arches an eyebrow. "I asked you if we would see again!"

I don't know why that exits my mouth, but it already has and I can do anything to change it. "It depends." He repeats what he told me.

"Well, I didn't plan to see you again like this."

"How would you rather see me?"

"I don't know, but definitely not with you handing over a job on a fucking silver platter."

"I thought you wanted a job, or am I missing something?"

I want to wipe the amusement off his face. "What will your other employees think of me? That I fucked the boss and got a job?"

His grin grows wider. He's not taking me seriously. "But you didn't fuck me."

"Exactly!"

"Not yet, at least." He adds and I pause my rant to gauge his reaction, my face turning red when he doesn't look the least remorseful about his words. He rolls his eyes. "I'm joking, of course."

"Of course, you are," I mutter with an eye roll. "As I was saying. One of your employees already thinks I'm fucking you. I'm sure the others will agree."

His whole expression changes. "Who?"

"That's not the fucking point!" I say in exasperation. He's like a man-child, I swear, focusing on non-important things like who thinks I'm involved with him. I don't blame them for thinking so. Heather says it's hard to get an interview here, and I didn't even get interviewed.

"How's Lucas?"

I can't keep up with the subject change. "Huh?"

"Lucas, your son." He repeats slowly. "How is he? How does he cope with your language? Do you always swear even when you're around your seven-year-old son?"

I'm touched he remembers the little details I told him. It means he was really listening to me. But then again, "What the fuck is wrong with you?"

His eyes twinkle with mirth. "See what I mean?"

I blush. "No, I don't. I don't always swear."

"Good." He nods. "I can't have you scaring away my customers with your foul mouth."

"Gabriel!" I snap.

"Not Gabriel, love. It's Mr. Hernsburg to you from now on."

"Who says I'll keep the job? What if I decide to terminate the contract?"

"You can't, Aria."

I hate that I like the way my name rolls off his tongue and I suddenly don't want to stand anymore. I still don't take a seat though. "What do you mean?"

"Did you even read through the contract?" Gabriel laughs. "You are stuck with me for three months, love. Only after then can you quit."

I grit my teeth. I know I should be grateful I now have a job, but the way he went about it makes my skin boil in irritation. Besides, why did he even feel the need to help me? I'm not some charity case. "You did it on purpose, didn't you?"

He shrugs unapologetically. "I had a feeling you'd try to run. But then again, you're the one that didn't properly look through the contract you signed."

"Fuck me," I mutter, finally falling back on the chair.

I don't think he hears me until he says. "Don't say things you don't mean, Aria."

I feel my face heat up. He is flirting with me. "I don't think this is an appropriate boss-and-employee relationship."

"You're special."

My eyes snap to his at the admission. I know he's giving me special treatment, but I don't expect him to admit it. "How so?"

"You're my favorite."

"You don't even know me."

"I know a lot people don't know, dear Aria. Or are you forgetting our night out at the bar?"

My mouth falls open at his insinuation of a date. "It wasn't our night out. I only went to the club by myself to drink."

He nods. "And I paid for them."

His arrogance pricks at my skin uncomfortably. I don't understand him, not by a long shot. He buys me drinks. He goes as far as employing me because I told him about my predicament. Now, he's throwing the drinks in my face and acting like him employing me is nothing.

"You can get your employee card from the receptionist opposite and you can resume work on Monday."

I'm still in disbelief. "What?"

Gabriel cracks a smile that has me facing the other way. I don't want him to see my reaction to him.

When I'm around him, I end up acting like a fucking teenager, and I forget I'm a twenty-six-year-old woman with a seven-year-old son. It's quite irritating, I swear.

"Welcome to my company, love. You'll love working here." He stands up to leave but stops at the door and spares me a glance. "Oh and by the way, if you want to impress your colleagues, you have to come in with a banger. They're working on an ad for a saving app by the way."

I blink, trying to process all that has just happened. Have I already started working?

I try not to think about it too much, but I can't. I can't help it. He employs me for no reason, calls me love, and demands for me to call him Mr. Hernsburg, and then he says I'm his favorite.

What the actual fuck?