Chapter Fifteen

"And then, you hear the voice of voice over artist saying—"

"Times up. That's a wrap for today. We'll continue this meeting tomorrow." Nessa announces, cutting me off.

I can't help the scowl that appears on my face. "I'm not done with my pitch."

Nessa smiles sweetly at me, standing up and packing up her files. "It's not my fault the meeting was set to go on for only an hour."

My other colleagues are torn in between leaving as well or staying to let me complete my pitch because it's lunch break. I'm tempted to tell Nessa to go fuck herself, but I know it won't be very professional of me. So I bite back my words, disconnect my laptop from the projector and walk out of the conference room with the lot.

I don't go to my cubicle though. I follow Nessa to her office. She's one of the only people with an office on our floor, but she's definitely the only one who exploits the power that comes with it.

"What do you want now?" She asks when she glimpses at me behind her. Immediately after she enters her office, she removes her heel and flops down on her chair, looking at me like I'm a nuisance.

"What the hell was the meaning of that?" I accuse as soon as I close the door behind me.

"You should mind the way you talk to me. I manage this department."

Her words go through one ear and go out the other. "You always find a way to do this. Always manage to interrupt my pitch. At this point, I don't know if you're still mad because I took your friend's spot or you're a jealous bitch that can't stand someone being better than her."

It's wrong. I know it is. I shouldn't call her a bitch. She's a woman just like me and how am I supporting her if I'm calling her degrading names? But she gets on all my nerves. She's annoying, intentionally so, and she has made it her life mission to not let my pitch be heard.

And the only reason I can think of for her behavior is that she is intimidated.

Nessa's eyes darken at the obvious disrespect. "I don't know what you've done with Mr. Hernsburg that makes you think he has a soft spot for you, but I hope you know I'm literally your boss and can get you fired."

I try to hold in my words, but I can't because one, I'm too mad to care and two, I know that for some unknown reason, Gabriel actually wants me here. "No, you can't. If you could, you would've already. You don't want me here," I tell her what she already knows.

She doesn't deny it and her jaw clenches. "I can suspend you. You're done for the day," she dismisses me, turning on her computer in front of her.

My mouth falls open. "What the fuck Why?"

"Seems like you can't recognize superiority when you see it. Get out of my office and don't come back until next week."

Teeth gritted, I'm ready to clap back, but I get distracted by my phone ringing.

I am very much tempted to ignore it and give Nessa another piece of my mind, but when I see who is calling, it draws all my attention. I answer, casting Nessa a dirty look as I exit her office, heading for my cubicle. "Hello?"

"Miss Jennings?" The caller asks.

"Yes, this is Lucas' teacher, right?"

"Oh, right," the man chuckles a bit. "We exchanged numbers some time ago."

I'd agreed to exchange numbers with him just in case there was any emergency at school and he didn't have time to go through the school's phone book, but I was certain his reason was that he was interested in me.