Chapter 22

A bit of movement causes you to wake up from your not-so-deep sleep.

You feel 049 shift against you, before he detaches from you, making sure to lower your body slowly to the ground, however, you open your eyes before he could finish. "Oh! My apologies. Did I wake you?" He retracted himself.

You sit up. "Yeah." You yawn. "Did you just wake up?"

"Just a small moment ago. It's just turning sundown." He mentions.

He looks around for a second before he starts to pick up sticks. "Hmm?" You hum.

"I'm collecting sticks to create a fire. I'd assume you're starting to get hungry, no?" He asks.

Oh yeah.

"Now that you mention it, yeah. But what is there to eat out here?" You ssk.

"We're in a forest, dear Y/n. Bear, deer, rabbits, those are our safest options."

"But what is there to make a fire with?"

"I'm sure there will be something we'll come across, preferably some stones that can create a spark."

"...Okay."

He resumes collecting sticks.

"Would you like some help?" You ask as you stand up.

"If you'd be so kind, yes."

You assist him, collecting dry stick you think are good enough.

Eventually, you gather what you think is enough sticks and return to him, who was already setting some of the sticks down. You set them down next to him. "Thank you." He says.

You hum. "Well, you seem to know what you're doing, so I'll leave you to that." You laugh.

"Of course." He chuckles a little.

You went back to your spot, and sit down. You got comfortable, but not before noticing your outfit.

How are you going to get anywhere looking like a criminal?

But before you knew it, a large orange flash brought you out of your thoughts.

He already made the fire?

"Wow. That was quick." You comment in suprise.

"Well, do you expect anything less?"

You shake your head.

He stands there, looking at the fire with his hands on his hips, seeming to be proud of his work.

"Well, that's the first step completed." He suddenly says.

"Speaking of that... how are you going to hunt something without a weapon?" You ask.

He looks over to you. "Hmm... excellent question... I'm sure I can figure something out. Could you perhaps keep the fire alive?"

"Y-yeah."

-------------------------------

An hour later, he gives you the news that he was able to create a weapon out of sticks and stones. Some sort of spear.

You were suprised at his skills out here in the while. Just having the skill to make a fire and a weapon from nothing but what nature gives you was just amazing to you.

"I'll try to see if I can catch anything." He mentions as he starts to walk off.

"Wait!" You call out.

He turns back around.

"A-are you sure you don't need anything?"

"I'm quite alright. Thank you though."

He wonders off.

You look in the direction he went off in for a couple seconds.

What a weird man.

----------------------------

After a long while, you notice the fire was going out again. You stand up from your spot and collect more sticks. You add them to the fire, making it alive again.

Just as you were about to sit back down, you hear footsteps. Leaves crunching, and some twigs snapping.

You look over in the direction, trying to see past the campfire light. Then 049 emerges from the darkness, the spear in is right hand, and two dead rabbits in his left.

You gawk at him. "You managed to catch two??" You ask, genuinely suprised.

"Why, of course!"

Why is he acting like this is just so easy?

He approaches the fire, and sat down near it. He set a piece of the dead rabbit on a stick, and positioned it to be in the fire, cooking. You sat closer to the fire as he set the other one up.

Afterwards, he sits beside you.

You both sit in a comfortable silence, watching the fire. The meat slowly cooks. 049 constantly checked up on them to make sure they were cooking right.

And after a couple minutes, "It's done." He suddenly says.

In which you return back to reality after wondering in your mind. "Huh?"

You saw him detaching the stick away from the fire. He hands it to you, before detaching the other one.

You inspect the rabbit. A perfect cut. It looked delicious, even though there wasnt any seasoning. But with the prison food you've been given?

This is a blessing.

You reposition the stick to take a bite...

Oh, my god.

You end up eating the entire thing in less than a minute. Satisfied, you went back to your spot and lay against a tree.

"Was it alright?" He asks, adding more sticks to the fire.

"It was perfect. Thank you." You say.

"Of course. However, I do have a question."

"Hmm?" You hum, looking at him.

"Do you perhaps want to continue, or wait till sunrise?"

"We could wait. It'd be a lot easier to travel during the day."

He gave a firm nod.

Might as well take a nap.

You got comfortable. Well, the best you could. The forest ground isnt really that comfortable, but you did your best.

You close your eyes, and after a while, you manage to drift off into a soft sleep.

End of Chapter 22