Chapter 24: Winter on Fall (3)

Lara's cheeks burnt in embarrassment. She knew that she was not in a position to demand but she still tried her luck to spare her family.

Nathaniel heaved a deep sigh, dismissing the topic. He was not trying to rebuke her in any way but he was not really good with words. It was a fact that he was very aware of. People often regard him as a cold and cruel person because of his sharp words. He was a man of few words, making him seem distant and unapproachable. The habit of omitting certain words causes him to be often misunderstood. Though he uses it as an advantage to dispel nobles who try to leech on him during gatherings.

Discarding the remains of the tobacco at the brazier, he placed the empty pipe at the ashtray and pulled the rope in a corner to call for Knox. He took a clean cloth to wipe the residue of tobacco lingering in his hand and his pair of deep eyes left her in a daze.

“Then isn't it also shameless of me to get rid of your family who served us longer than I can even remember? I am not that petty to ruin Imelda's children just because of one's fault.”

She fell silent, realizing that the master he served somehow felt different. ‘Did he change or is it a part of him that I failed to see all these years?

“I'll allow you to visit your family. Notify Knox of your absence and keep everything from the Duchess. If you're done, then leave.”

Lara's eyes watered as she bowed her head excessively, showing her gratitude. Her heart felt full despite his dismissing voice. It was a favor she would willingly repay for.

The moment she was about to leave, Knox and Reagan greeted her from the other side of the door. Taken aback, her eyes widened in surprise and greeted rushly before running off.

“You called for me, Your Grace.” Knox addressed as he walk in.

“Tell the chefs to prepare a week's worth of food for the knights. We'll depart at dawn to inspect the territory.”

The butler nodded in understanding. It was the Duke's routine every time he returned to his territory after a long absence. It was his way of having a closer look of his people's concerns but also to subdue monsters who gets to go near the borders.

However, the Duke leaving in this situation made him worry. It may cause the rift between him and the Duchess to grow even colder. In fact, the day of consummation is also approaching. It was a Fleiss family tradition that the Ducal couple will have to share a night to get the deity's blessing and produce an heir. But he knew that he cannot oppose his decision. The winter season is approaching and the monsters are prevalent during this time.

“Then, I'll also prepare the weapons.” Reagan, who happened to come with Knox interjected.

“No, you'll stay here. You're still the Duchess' knight.” The Duke answered disapprovingly.

Reagan was taken aback by his words. It was common knowledge that the best knights of the Order are always the ones deployed at the borders because of the high risks of casualties.

“But it will be dangerous. The monsters have gotten increasingly uncontrollable these past few years. Your Grace, you'll need my hand.” Reagan conveyed with strong refusal.

“My wife and my castle needs your help more than I. And it is an order, Reagan.”

Reagan clenched his jaw, knowing that he cannot refuse an order. He knew how perilous it would be to subjugate monsters at the Northern borders. Some may be ferocious and uncontrollable. Furthermore, Nyx has not yet returned.

“If you have spare time to be concerned with someone, then escort Miss Brookes to the Briar Station. She will be returning home for a family matter. You're quite acquainted with her, aren't you?” The Duke added that startled him for a moment.