Chapter 6: Departure

Eloise' headache still haven't subsided. Feeling nauseous, she decided to return to her room when Knox knocked, bringing in a silver tray with a letter above it.

"Your Grace, Count Credieu sent you a letter."

The mere mention of his father made her feel cold in fear. She reluctantly opened the letter and read the contents, feeling her heart racing inside her chest.

It was a request for her to visit the Credieu household and to spend time with her family. Her father must knew that they are about to leave the Capital.

But Eloise knew better. The letter was not a request but an order. After all, they never treated her like a part of the Credieu family even if they share the same blood. It was because of Eloise' commoner blood. Her mother was a servant in the Credieu household who got raped by the self-centered Count. Her helpless mother cannot even defend herself when the Count faulted her for seducing him.

Afraid of receiving the Countess' wrath, Eloise' mother run away and hid until she gave birth. It was a cold snowy night, the frosty wind brushing through their skin. Her mother desperately wrapped her in her arms to keep her warm while she shivers in cold.

Merely surviving, the two moved from one place to another in order not to get caught.

"I hate your eyes. Do not look at me with those blue eyes, you just remind me of that monster," her mother said with eyes filled with hatred as she looked at the feeble child.

Eloise has the same lilac, wavy hair like her mother but she took after her father's sapphire eyes. It was the reason why her mother never looked in her eyes and she developed the habit of looking down, afraid of meeting one's gaze.

Eloise was already at the age of seven when the Credieu family got a hold of them. Their existence was a stain to their honor and they are determined to get rid of them before their existence get revealed.

Determined to escape, her mother dragged her to the woods, the soles of her feet was filled with cuts and bruises as she desperately run away from the knights tailing after them.

She was already injured, a stab wound in her abdomen was soaking the upper part of her dress with blood as she faced her child with a paled face.

"Run. Do not look back. I'll buy you some time to escape."

The innocent child just cried harder but she started to run away. She didn't care how many times she stumbled and bruised herself. She engraved her mother's words in her mind as she helplessly escaped from that place.

But despite how much she desperately prayed, she was soon held captive and was forcefully dragged to the Credieu mansion. The news of her mother's death greeted her as she took a step inside the household where she spent the following despairing years of her life.

Eloise closed the letter and hid it in her drawer as she controlled her hands from shaking. She faced the butler and forced a smile, "There's no need to inform the Duke about this," she managed as she clasped her trembling hands behind her back.

Knox did not bother to inquire further and just nodded in agreement. He was about to leave her room when he remembered something and eagerly relayed his words.

"Your Grace, the Duke wishes to have dinner with you."

Her breath hitched at the butler's words. It took her by surprise. It never occurred to her that he would initiate to have dinner with her.

What is he planning?

Eloise was moving back and forth while biting her nails. Knox was long gone and she was alone at her room while frantically glancing at the clock. She could feel her heart beating faster as time passes. Only a few minutes remaining for dinner, yet she still cannot calm her heart.