Chapter 17: Bloody Chalice

Beneath the lively town square was the underground district, where illegal transactions and secret dealings happen to avoid the wary eyes of the government.

Anxiousness visible in every fiber of his being, a man hastily dragged his luggage towards the cargo ships whose headed to the neighboring kingdom tonight.

Approaching the man near the dock, he pulled out a reticule purse full of gold coins from his coat's inner pocket. The migrant smuggler smirked as he confirmed his payment to help him secretly flee and nodded his head towards the ship confirming that he could board the ship immediately.

Just about twenty steps away and he probably could've escape his misery, but someone's soft whistle made him stop on his tracks.

"You seems to be in a hurry, Baron Freigg."

The man's silhouette leaning on the wall in a dark corner was barely noticeable but the Baron instantly recognized his voice. After all, they were on the same side just a few days ago.

"H-how?"

"How cruel of you to not inform me of your departure. I rushed in here just to see you off. Aren't you touched?"

The Baron's eyes were unfocused as he hastily sought for the person he just paid but he is nowhere to be found. The man who was supposed to help him escape safely recognized the identity of the person who was after him and fled to spare his own. Realizing his situation, the Baron just cursed his pitiful situation.

"P-please spare me. My young daughter was waiting for my arrival." The man begged on his knees with his head lowered to the ground, shivers running down his spine as he listen to the approaching footsteps.

"Should I?"

"If you turn a blind eye on me once, I promise to live a low profile and will be as good as dead."

"And what would I gain from that?" The man's cold voice left him on a stupefied state. He could hear the loud sound of his heart pounding in fear as a trickle of sweat fell from his temple.

The man's jockey boots stopped a few inches in front of his face. Even without lifting his gaze, he could feel the pair of cruel blue eyes boring two holes at the back of his head.

"P-please, my daughter needs me. She still haven't debuted at the social circle yet."

"Then, you should've thought about that before doing something stupid." The man's raven cloak fluttered as he squatted down, his one arm was leisurely resting on his knee. His long silver hair flowed past his shoulders, framing his face while a silver dagger earring dangling from his right ear was sticking out.

His thin lips curved in a sardonic smile as he uttered the next words, "Before betraying your allies, make sure you wouldn't get caught."

Enraged by his helplessness, the Baron thought of his last straw of hope to escape. He stealthily grabbed the small knife hidden from his suit and stabbed the man's shoulder.

Caught off guard, the dagger dug deep to his flesh and the assassin grunted before grabbing the Baron by his neck and smashed him to the ground, his electric blue eyes glowed as he amplified his strength with magic.

The Baron let out a soundless groan as he felt his rib cracked and his upper torso instantly fell numb from pain.

The cruel man stomped him by his neck and looked down with his chromatic blue eyes painted with disdain. His expression was lacking of emotion as he stare at the helpless prey before his eyes, "Any last words?"

Accepting his end, the Baron held out all of his courage to spat out words he felt would perhaps affect the other.

"You and the Duke of Fleiss are just loyal hounds of the royal family. They sit lavishly in their throne while you hunt all the spoiled meat and kiss their feet."