"Here take a look."

I threw Abby the ring. She put it on curiously and opened her status to check it out.

"Ahhhh you even got a rare drop. Luckyyyy."

Then she threw the ring back to me and got more serious all of a sudden.

"Open your status, I want to see your progress."

"I- Uh. Sure One-"

"Don't worry, we made a deal remember?? You beat the boss, your secret is safe with me. No one else will know."

She made a locking motion with her hand by her lips and pretended to throw out a key.

"Sighhhh, okay."

I opened my status and flipped the screen to show Abby. Her eyes went wide.

"F-Fire magic... you absor.... IT REALLY IS WHAT I THOUGHT.... INCREDIBLE!!!"

She got out of her seat and started jumping around.

"You have a unique skill for real!! It could be the most valuable skill I've ever heard of Jay!!!"

I nodded.

"Yes I know. But I need to keep it a secret until I'm a stronger class hunter. I need to protect myself from any parties that want to take advantage of me. I may just be paranoid from reading comic books, but I think there's some sense to keeping it a secret for now."

Abby stopped jumping and looked at me with a concerned look and pouted.

"Hmm. I guess you have a point. It's your choice. Well, I'll be your eyes and ears here at the association. No one is suspicious yet, but depending on your future rate of progress there will definitely be some prying eyes."

She made a teasing punching and looking around gesture.

I nodded slowly and rolled my eyes.

"Thanks for looking out for me."

Abby smiled and walked back over to her desk.

"Well, I have more boring work to do today. I'm glad you came in, maybe we can go on another hunt soon. I have a couple cool D Class dungeons I'm itching to show ya!!"

She winked.

"Sounds good. You've opened my eyes, I thank you again for that. Soon I'll be the one protecting you!"

Abby laughed out loud as I turned to walk out the door.

"Keep dreaminggg. See you later Jay!"

I walked out the front door of the building with a sigh of relief. That went well. Abby knows my secret, but I have a feeling it's actually better this way.

I took the train back to a stop right by my apartment. I walked up the steps to my door, turned the key, and stepped inside.

I set my sword up against my desk and took a long hot shower. I smiled to myself, today was a good day.

I decided to laze around for the remainder of the day to rest. I read some comics, journaled a bit, and made one stop to the corner store for a simple dinner. I slept exceptionally well that night.

In the morning I woke up a little sore, but a long stretch made me feel basically good as new. I got dressed, took 6 silver and 3 bronze from my bedside table, grabbed my sword, and opened my door to leave.

"Good morning Jayyyy!"

I looked up and saw Maria staring back at me.

"Oh hey, morning Maria."