Chapter 12

The vampire felt a phantom chill on his back without Kova's body there as he rode his bike at top speed back to his family's home.

All things considered, that had gone fairly well. He hadn't been lying when he'd said there were still many things they needed to learn about each other, but he knew that would come with time. At least, he hoped it would. He didn't regret not bringing up the fact that Kova was his mate. The young werewolf had already had an extremely trying day, he didn't need to drop another bomb on him. Besides, he wanted Kova to figure it out for himself. Jasper didn't want to make him feel like he was trying to make some kind of claim, as if Kova weren't his own person who could make his own decisions.

Jasper pulled up to the garage, the door opening automatically so he could park his bike inside. He cut the roar of the engine, his senses alerting him as soon as Alice entered the large space.

"It went as well as I told you it would," she said with confidence, and one corner of Jasper's mouth lifted.

"It did," he admitted as he approached her.

She pulled him into an affectionate side hug, sighing contently as she leaned her small head against his shoulder.

"And you didn't even have to tell him your full story yet," Alice observed, pulling him into the house with her.

"He seems to be able to read me already," Jasper said in slight exasperation. "He knew it was a touchy subject and stopped me from telling it just yet."

"He's your mate, of course he can read you," Alice said, the tone in her voice saying that much should be obvious.

"That, or he's just very observant," Jasper hummed and Alice rolled her eyes before releasing him.

She'd led him to the living room, where the rest of the family was gathered, apart from Edward. Esme's smile was genuine and Jasper could sense her anticipatory excitement. He'd been expecting this, but it still felt odd for all of them to be looking at him at once.

"Well?" Esme asked gently, knowing Jasper wasn't one for theatrics.

"It went... well," Jasper answered, his lips spreading into a smile.

Emmett's eyebrows met his hairline.

"Careful bro, that smile might break your face," He said in his teasing tone, "it's not used to that kind of... stretch."

Jasper rolled his eyes at his pain in the ass, over grown child of a brother.

"Em!" Rosalie swatted at his arm, and he smiled his shit eating grin.

Jasper could practically taste Carlisle's curiosity, but didn't feel the need to stand in the centre of the room and explain it like he was in a damn play or something. Jasper moved out of the limelight, closer to his father figure to talk. Carlisle knew Jasper as well as Esme did, angling himself so it looked like they were having a private discussion, and not like Jasper was addressing the entire room. They would all hear it anyway.

Carlisle didn't even ask, just waited for Jasper to start, letting him proceed on his terms.

"Kova is... he's very understanding, and curious. You're going to get along," Jaspers lips curled again as he began to talk about his mate. "He's not like the Quileutes," he started, and Carlisle's interest piqued. "He's a completely different species."

"I can't wait to meet him," Carlisle said genuinely. "How is he different?"

"I don't know all the ways yet... but he doesn't transform into a wolf for one," Jasper began to explain, his eyes igniting. "His abilities are nearly identical to ours. Speed, strength, enhanced senses," Carlisle was listening intently, nodding along. "His kind can scent emotions on the air, and heal rapidly. And they're... mortal."