18 | Isha's trouble

I'M WORRIED FOR Isha, so I'm glad when I see her walking down Princeton. Well, not entirely. She's with that girl from English class. What was her name again? I don't know.

But you don't move on that fast from someone. I bet Isha doesn't even want to be with that girl. Yet when she walks by me she seems like the happiest girl ever.

I stare at her back stunned. I expect her to at least wave or do something―I don't know. Or maybe I should do something, so I open my mouth, but nothing comes out.

I just stand there for a minute until Charlie brings me back to Earth. "Yo, man, who is that? Isn't it that girl who you were talking with before we went out―"

"Yeah."

"Damn." He sighs. "Look, man, don't let bitches like that get to your head."

I look at Charlie so quickly. "What?"

"I said don't let her get to your head. Are you deaf or something?" He chuckles, but I remain solemn.

"No, I mean, before that. And that's not even funny." Charlie looks at me real seriously then. "There are people who are actually deaf, Charlie."

"I know, man. That's..." He shakes his head.

"What?" Charlie looks at me. "That's what?"

"Yo, Mason, chill." He scrunches his eyebrows as if I'm the bad guy.

"Chill? You just called Isha a bitch!"

Charlie glances and fumes at me. "I didn't call her a bitch, I was just talking about girls in general."

"Well, girls aren't bitches, and Isha is a girl." I scrunch my eyebrows.

"Man, let it go."

"No!" I give Charlie a disgusted look.

He seems frustrated. "Whatever." I bet he's expecting me to catch up to him, but he just walks away and in that moment I find myself rethinking what I just did.