CHAPTER 37- PROPOSAL

Charlie remained clutching air long after his brother departed. Tears ran down his cheeks, disappearing as they left his face. 

Mendaline knew she should run to comfort him, but the shock of what had just happened a few minutes ago made her feel as if she was suddenly paralyzed. The only thing she could do now was stare.

Alice was the first to recover. She ran towards Charlie and hugged him. It took a moment for Charlie to return the hug. When he did, they both sobbed silently, mourning the loss of their brother.

Only when Knave removed his arm from around Mendaline, did she find the strength to move. She turned to look at Knave, who looked equally lost.

Mendaline returned her attention towards Alice and Charlie, and to her horror, found Charlie missing.

"Where is Charlie?" Asked Mendaline, panicked. She wondered if she had fallen unconscious somewhere in between.

Alice, who was in the process of wiping her tears, gave Mendaline a puzzled look. Still, she answered the question. "He said he needed some time alone. There has never been a time where Charlie had to live without Mike, and now when he does, it will take some time for him to live with the change," Alice looked outside the cave to where, presumably, Charlie was. "I just hope he'll be okay."

"He will!" Knave assured.

Alice looked at him. "Let's hope you're right."

Mendaline gave Charlie a few hours to himself before gathering her courage to go talk to him. Knave and Alice had thought it would be wise for Mendaline to talk to Charlie, and were now gone to who knows where, leaving Mendaline to do something she had never done in her life.

Mendaline found Charlie just where she had been standing a few hours ago. He had his arms crossed and eyes full of tears. She stood a few feet behind him, knowing that before comforting him, she had to figure out her own feelings.

Mendaline was stuck in a whirlwind of emotions. She was devasted at the loss of Mike and Maria, and yet guilty that she was happy Charlie was left behind. Sure, he had been separated from his brother, but the fact that his love for her was so strong that he beat passing on, was something Mendaline was still trying to wrap her head around. 

Charlie had given enough proof of his love, but what had Mendaline done? Could she ever love him to that extent? Did she deserve him?

"Are you just going to keep standing behind me or will you step forward and say a word?" Charlie suddenly said. He sounded quite normal at the very least.

Mendaline took a deep breath and came to stand next to him. "I don't know what to say," She admitted. "I can't say I understand, because I've never lost someone I truly care about since I've always been surrounded by jackasses and was pleased when they all passed away!"

Charlie laughed, actually laughed, and Menadline felt a spark of happiness. "Please, don't ever try and comfort anyone ever again!" He begged.

"Well, I had to comfort you." She replied.

Charlie turned to look at her. "And why is that?"

Mendaline turned to face him. "Because I love you!" She said, astonished at how foreign the words coming from her mouth sounded.

Charlie looked surprised. He probably wasn't expecting her to be that blunt. He cleared his throat. "That is...., that's..., wow!" 

"Yeah," Mendaline replied. "Perhaps now is not the time for all this but...," She broke off. "Charlie, the fact that you're here just for me is....," Mendaline stopped. She figured there wasn't a word to truly describe what that meant for her. "You must really hate me," She said. "Considering that I separated you from your brother."