Little Kings

"Sophie, is it true that Agatha was alive? I mean, alive for a while now?" Rafal was asking these types of questions often nowadays. He probably was suspecting someone would take his throne or something.

"Yes. Didn't you see the news?" Rafal rolled his eyes. "You know that's not what I meant." She hesitated to answer. Should she tell him the truth? If she didn't say anything, that could make him suspicious. But if she did end up revealing everything about Tedros and Camelot, and their plan involving his subjects, maybe that wouldn't be good either.

"Agatha's been alive, but she didn't want to get attention. She's always been like that. I personally don't agree with her attitude. She's a queen. She needs the attention of the people. If I were her, I--"

Rafal cut her off. "Why is she here? Why are her conversations with you so secret? You're her friend, aren't you? What is she so afraid of? And what about Tedros? If she's alive, with her daughter, what about him?" He smiled darkly. "Unless it was supposed to be that way."

Sophie glared at him. "I know Aggie and she would never do that to him. She's in love with that guy, even though I think she could do better, personally. To think I was in love with him once..." Rafal shrugged. "I wouldn't blame her if she did plan things out. That's actually a smart idea. I couldn't have thought of anything better myself."

Sophie sighed. "Darling, sometimes you are a bit too much. I don't understand why you find those things funny." She continued, "She is afraid of getting too much attention because of what happened to Chaddick and because she suspects that the fire of Camelot was started by an enemy. She doesn't want to be another target."

"Understandable."

Sophie looked at Rafal for a long time,  with some suspicion. "Why are you asking this? Are you trying to kill her or something?"

Rafal started to laugh even though Sophie wasn't trying to be funny. "It's just I can't even trust the people in my own court. Look at what happened with you and Lady Lesso. I know you think she's innocent, but how can you be sure?"

"Why are you so worried though? What have those idiots been saying?" Rafal lowered his voice. "They are saying some parts of the kingdom are working against me. They want my brother, not me, even though he's dead."

Sophie was the one laughing now. "Just kill them all then. Make an example of them. By the way, do you ever miss having your brother around?"

"Why do you want to know?"

"He's like a forbidden topic. You always change the topic, like you don't want to face what you did. Just forget about him. He's not here and he was useless anyway."

"How can I forget killing my own blood? How can I forget the fact that the person I spent my whole life with is dead by my own hand?"

"You have your crown now. You don't have to share."

"Yes, but that will never make me just.. forget everything."

"If you insist on thinking about it, what can I do?"

"Nothing."

                          ◇◇◇
Later on, there was big news concerning Camelot.

People started spreading the rumor that Agatha had married Tedros only to kill him all this time. She had Chaddick murdered so Tedros could have no defense.

She had allied with Calmaria to set that fire that couldn't be put out to burn her husband to death. Or maybe, they even taught her how to do the spell herself. King Rafal was an extremely powerful sorcerer after all.

Maybe Agatha was never Good after all, but an Evil, scheming witch who had fooled everyone as to who she really was. Some people even insinuated she had become romantically involved with Calmaria's ruler, and only had her best friend marry him to trick everyone.

But the biggest news was that a young child of three pulled Excalibur from the stone.

He was the King.

Nobody knew where he came from, but the people were told that he was a distant cousin to Tedros, and the throne would go to him as Arthur had no other heir.

Camelot was celebrating and had hope for the first time in months. Even the poorest subject sent presents to their sweet copper-haired king.

His name was Leo, after the Lion in a famous tale of Camelot.

Armand was laughing behind everyone's back.

All he was doing was putting Rafal's other son on the throne, who's real name was Rhian, obviously. His friends were too weak and cowardly to resist him, and the subjects too stupid to notice.

For Calmaria, Sophie finally had her child. The court gave Sophie false smiles and congratulations, but behind her back, they started gossiping.

Her son was hideous, they said. A child with one eye green and one eye blue? Disgusting. They would never say anything publicly, and at least their new little prince would be very powerful.

Agatha came with her daughter to see Sophie, and she noticed everyone but the guards whispering about her, laughing at her, and pointing to her.

She would soon find out why.