CHAPTER 1 (PART 1) - TRITTEON

Though the pods should have stopped within the protection of the Palace's underground hangar, Rilyin's authority overrode their autopilot, stopping all seven a hundred yards shy of the towering, iron front doors.

I stepped out first, Orion, surprisingly eager, five steps behind, keeping her distance from me. In front and behind us, all six accompanying units followed suit, to be sure both the skies and grounds were secure, not that it should have actually been necessary. No one was supposed to be able to have access to the grounds nor the skies anywhere near the Palace without Rilyin's permission. Or so the Oria claimed. But so many of their supposed rules and security measures had been broken at the Rest House over the last few days and none of us were feeling too trusting.

Somewhat at ease by the stillness, only the minds of those I recognized in range, Orion and I nodded in agreement and moved aside to allow Rilyin, Pharro behind him, to step out.

Orion's jade eyes blazed with Poeir, darting this way and that, expertly scanning and assessing every shadow or possible hiding place danger was likely to hide as the Emperor and his Advisor's feet crunched down on the sparkling, white gravel. My skin prickled as she threw a wide, impenetrable shield around all of us, her nerves just as thin as ours.

Rilyin was silent for several long, awestruck moments as he took in everything before him, completely at ease, not a speck of doubt over his safety. He began pointing out the magnificence of his Palace with the exuberance of a young child, from its pearly, glittering, white walls, to its shining, gold towers, the tallest of which was adorned with six gold poles waving the six flags of ConCiagon, one for each territory, the Fairudin flag the largest and tallest at the towers point. The thrill in the man's voice as he saw all of these things for the first time since he was only a few years old made even Pharro grin.

As we ascended the first of the hundred steps to the intricately gilded, iron front doors, Rilyin took them without the aid of his cane, pointing out the beautiful grounds. His enhanced sense of smell and sound drew his gaze toward all the things he'd always wondered about the most, from the rows and rows of apple trees, to the rose gardens in every shade of white, pink, and red, the waist-high hedge mazes, and the fountains decorated in stone rose vines and small doves, and ponds covered in flowering lily pads. Beside me, Orion took it all in silently, her expression neutral, though I felt her heart leap with each new detail the Emperor shared. Even the cool evening breeze blowing her curled, dark red hair in her face couldn't hide the brief snatches of an amused smile.

As we reached the top step, the heavy doors groaned and creaked and Rilyin led us inside the spacious entryway, the white marble floors, inlaid with swirling gold designs, echoing with the sound of our boots.

Six guards, three on either side, saluted as we entered, their eyes following Orion uneasily, noting her position a few steps to my right, her velvet, emerald suit with its black, leather designs in all the places that counted, her damning, dark red hair stopping halfway down her back. Though their reaction was understandable, it took effort to keep the irritation from my expression. I wasn't the only one counting on the accounts of the staff who had been with us at the Rest House, who had seen Orion in action, to help us vouch for her, to help us keep everyone on our side. The situation over the next two weeks would be precarious enough without worrying about those around us.

"Here we go again," Orion's words shivered into my ear on a Veehm, quick to note the guards' reactions as well.

Rilyin took a moment to greet each guard, and some of their uneasiness lessened, replaced by their shock at the subtle, gray-green of his eyes in place of the eerie, silver mirrors they'd been, and the fact he clearly was no longer blind.

Finished, Rilyin continued on, taking his time drinking in the exquisite paintings and tapestries decorating the vast halls of his palace. We would be on lockdown over the next three days while we waited for everyone's return. Respite was normally a three week holiday. We were back two weeks early. Only an eighth of the staff remained, and that included all those who had returned with us. Though it was their duty to return when summoned, Rilyin hoped coaxing everyone back with the reward of bonuses would ease their disappointment and the strain on their families.

Halfway down the second hallway, Pharro touched Rilyin's arm. "Tritteon and I will be right back."

Rilyin furrowed his brow but nodded, extending his elbow toward Orion. "Very well. Aveeve and I have everything well in hand."

Orion frowned back at me as he led her on, her eyes darting to my chest where I knew she felt my unease, and then to Pharro where her expression darkened as if in warning. Because she knew by my hidden reaction this deviation hadn't been planned.

"You have terrible timing," I Veehmed to Pharro.

"We can give them some space. He is safer with her than even you or I." He motioned to the left hallway as they took the stairs. "Now."

I knew better than to ignore that tone and followed him. Something strained against my chest as the distance grew between Orion and I, and by the time we stepped into the small conference room, I had to clench my fists tight at my sides to keep them from shaking. From what I could feel of Orion, she was having the same struggle.

"Have a seat," Pharro said, motioning to the nearest chair at the end of the table.

I took it, scanning him warily as he pulled out the one next to it and sat, crossing an ankle over his knee. I knew better than to try and guess what his shielded mind was thinking, so I waited silently for him to begin.

Pharro tapped on the tabletop with his middle finger and his sharp, pale-green eyes shifted around the room for a moment before locking on mine.

"You leave in a year, Tritteon. One pathetically short year. What is the plan?"

I couldn't stop the violet from creeping along the edges of my vision, but I kept it from enveloping my eyes entirely. "I still know very little about this, sir. But I believe the more exposure we have to the side effects, the quicker they will fade."

He narrowed his eyes. "What proof do you have?"

"The tremors faded within twenty-four hours," I offered.

He seemed to consider this. "And the feelings the bond seems to illicit between the two of you?"

I dropped my gaze. "Sir, those...those existed before the bond. I believe they were only amplified. I do not imagine they will simply disappear with exposure. Especially not in the pathetically fleeting time span of a year. If we even get that long."

Pharro mumbled several curses under his breath. "That is the least of our worries. Right now, you need to be focused on getting these side effects to fade." His perching ankle dropped, and he leaned toward me. "Because the moment that year is up, your obligations will call you home, and no matter what you or that cursed bond says or wants, she is not yours and you cannot take her with you." He leaned back and a twisted smirk settled across his face. "I'd hate to be you when your mother and your betrothed finds out what you did."

I stood abruptly, shoving his words down, and pushed my chair back into place. Unsurprisingly, Pharro didn't flinch. "Sir, I cannot promise anything until I know exactly what we are dealing with. But I will do everything I can to convince her to stay and turn this bond into a figment of our imaginations."

Pharro got to his own feet, slowly. "Good. Very good." His tone lowered and took on that deep, gravelly edge he was famous for. "I just need you to keep something in mind." He took a step and leaned toward my ear so every word hissed hot against my skin, something very few humans would dare try. "If you hinder or jeopardize Orion's future in any way, I don't care if she will never forgive me, I will kill you myself. Is that understood?"

I closed my eyes against the stinging heat that could only be Destere on his breath and forced the words through my teeth. "Yes, sir."

He patted my shoulder, hard. "Good."