Chapter 25.

Evelyn's POV.

  After staying home yesterday I decided to work today. It wasn't much crowded so Nicole and I agreed to close early as for our appointments for today are over. I packed my stuff to head over to Kai's place for tonight. I took my bag and cleared up my table and was about to leave when Nicole barged into the office.

" eve! " she said in a hurry.
" Nic, what's wrong? "  I asked her putting my bag down completely startled.
" there's a patient. " she said.
" patient? Do they have a appointment? "  I asked her, confusion filled in my thoughts.
"  no they say it's urgent. "  she said lowering her head.
I put my coat on and head out to see what's going on. I was concerned at the thought of a urgent patient.  Although it felt weird and strangely familiar.
I opened the door to the lobby and walked out.

"  good evening doctor. " I heard a voice speak. My eyes immediately shot up. It's the voice I've been dieing to hear for years.
I couldn't believe my eyes. She was right in front of me. Sitting on the couch stretching out her legs in her uniform.
Tears rolled down my cheeks. I broke down in front of her. I felt my legs were giving out. She stood up and slowly walked towards me while I stood frozen in my tracks. When she was inches away from me I could smell her scent. She was really there. She wrapped her arms around me and pulled me in for a hug. My face pressed again her chest I cried my heart out. Her arms wrapped tightly around me she rested her chin on my head.
   I looked up to see her already looking down at me.

"  you really came! " I said my lips curling up to a slight smile.
"  I think I promised someone I will. " She said with a playful smile.
She looked and sounded so different now. Her short hair was tied back in a little tie. Her face was covered with random cuts and scars, some looked new. Her voice sounded more depper than it used to. She looked more confident now.

" it's been so long.."  I said wrapping my arms around her.
" they had to send us to recover. "  she said her eyes were glued onto mine this whole time making me feel things I haven't felt for a long time now.
"  recover? "  I asked worried if anything is wrong.
" mhm. " she muttered and placed a kiss on my forehead. I did not say another word and enjoyed this moment close to her. Feeling her warmth and the protection I felt when I'm with her all over again.

" Are you going to go home doctor." she asked letting loose. I felt those butterflies that's been absent for these past years present under her gaze. I nodded my head slightly and her smile widened.
" let's go. I need to get my things first. " I said and turned to go in when Nicole was standing next to me with my bag.
" you two leave I'll close up."  she said handing it to me.
" thank you Nicole." Kai said putting her backpack on and taking my hand on hers.
" thank you nic! " I said and hugged her.

When I turned to Kai, she still had her eyes on me. Her gaze made my heart burn. I blushed my checks felt hot.
"  can you not look at me like that." I said looking away trying to hide my face from her.
" can you not hide your face from me, I missed it so much. " she said hovering over my face.

She drove us to her place. On our drive she asked me about what had changed in the town and I gladly enjoyed answering each of her questions.
When we arrived home she wanted me to go in as if nothing has happened.

"  hinari, I'm home! " I said as I entered and walked to the living room. I tried my best to control my ridiculous smile the whole time.
"  hello darling!  Come in, I was waiting for you." she said coming out of the kitchen.
" hey eve! "  Steve greeted as I did the same when he came down the stairs. I put my things down on the table when the door opened. 

"  Guys, I'm home. " Kai exclaimed as she entered.
Both hinari's and Steve's faces brightened up.
"  goodness! Child you're home! " hinari shouted and ran to embrace her kid for the first time in two years.
The four of us talked and had a lovely time at the dinner table. We didn't question Kai about work. As anyone could understand it's never been easy for her but she's here with us and that is what matters. This what I'm feeling right now I wanted it to stay forever. This is a family I never imagined I'd have. 

After dinner we head to our rooms. Kai and I went to her room which is basically our room at this point. I had some of my belongings in there but she didn't mind it.

"  babe, " she called sitting on the bed.
" yes love? " I said going next her trying to stay calm at her sweet talk.
"  can you help me out a little? " she asked unbuttoning her jacket.
Hold on!  Too soon!  I told to myself and stood not knowing what to do as she unbuttoned it.
"  eve? "  she looked up to me and smirked as if she realized what was going in my mind.
" dirty eve,  I was telling you to help me remove my jacket."  she said with a cocky smile.
"  uh- wh- I wasn't thinking of anything." I said and bent down to help her.
"  just slide down the right side, careful."  she said giving me her right arm. 
"  what happened?  " I asked slightly concerned what has taken place.
My hand hit her right shoulder as I tried to take the jacket off and she suddenly winced. I slid it down carefully watching her reactions attentively.

"  thank you babe."  she said with a smile when the jacket came off.
My eyes widened when her bandaged shoulder came to sight.
"  what happened there? " I asked worried.
"  Got three shots." she said calmly as if it was nothing.  She looked at me with regretful eyes when my eyes filled with tears once again.
" you got shot? " I whispered.  The dream I saw flashed right in front of me. I was afraid that the dream was real.
" shh.. It doesn't matter I'm here right?" she said bringing up her hands and cupping my face wiping my tears away..

...

"  okay, there you go. " I said helping her put on her clothes. 
She smiled childishly and layed down on the bed. She looked tired. Of course she must be exhausted, I thought to myself. 
"  let's sleep now then, you must be tired." I said pulling out some blankets from her closet.
She sat up and watched what I was doing. I put down the blankets and a pillow on the ground next to her bed for myself.
" what on earth are you doing? "  she asked standing up.
" getting ready to sleep." I replied.
"  there's a bed here."  she said gesturing to the bed behind her.
" I don't want to bother you. You need a good rest, stretch out and sleep well." I said sitting down on my blankets.
"  but babe?  That's not right. You don't take much space there's plenty of room for you on the bed. "  she said trying to convince my thoughts.
If it was anytime I would willingly join her but she's injured and needs a good rest. I shook my head and looked up to her.
"  Go to sleep now. " I said to which she hesitantly got on the bed.  She turned off the light and we both settled in under our warm sheets.

With her on the bed beside me I felt safe and somewhat like home.  I closed my eyes waiting patiently till sleep came around.
I was half asleep when I heard shuffling from behind my back. I slowly opened my eyes but dared not to move when I felt someone behind me.
A hand slid around my waist from under the sheets and I knew who it belonged to. She pulled me closer to her. Her hot breath fell on my neck sending chills through my whole body. Her hand held tight to me. Our bodies pressed on each others. LI gave in to her and made myself comfortable under her.

  "  I love you so much.. My dentist girl. " she whispered placing a kiss on the crook of my neck.
   "  I love you much... Corporal.  " I whispered back shutting my eyes as the night wrapped us both in a peaceful sleep.

_