Vol 1. Chp 6: Club Fair

AYANOKOUJI POV:

On our second day of school—well, I suppose technically it was the first day of class—we spent most of our time running over the course objectives. The red-haired boy had already made a spectacle of himself by spending most of the class asleep. As I expected, the teachers ignored him which caused the others to believe that they could misbehave in the class without any consequences.

Soon, it was lunch time and I had no one to invite. Horikita noticed my pain and laughed at me.

"You're pathetic. You angered your classmates and now you have no friends to eat with."

It seems like horikita wasn't affected by our talk yesterday.

"But you're alone, too, aren't you? Haven't you thought the same thing? Or do you intend to spend three years here without making a single friend?" I replied

"That's right. I prefer to be alone," she replied quickly, without hesitation.

I was getting hungry and didn't want to waste my lunchtime so I got up from my seat and was going to leave the classroom but kushida called out to me

"hey ayanokouji"

Kushida came up to me and asked me a question that almost caused me to laugh

"there's something I wanted to ask you. It's just one little question. Ayanokouji-kun, are you horikita-san friends?" as if. There's no way horikita would consider anyone a friend.

"nope. Well kushida I have to go to the cafeteria so I don't have the time to listen to your stupid questions" I replied. I might have seemed rude but I just wanted to see her reaction. I still believed she was hiding something. The boys who listened to our conversation seemed to get mad.

"ok ayanokouji, I'll talk to you later." Kushida replied to me with a kind voice and a strained smile. She didn't seem to be angry. Either she is actually being kind or she is just really good at hiding her true emotions. Without wasting any time, I left the class and went to the cafeteria.

There, I encountered Hirata and a group of girls from my class who glared at me. As expected of Hirata, he already had a harem of pretty girls. He waved at me but didn't invite me to eat with him as he also noticed the reactions of the girls.

I wasn't really surprised when I saw the menu and found out that there were free meals and some of our seniors were actually eating it. I also bought the free meal since I wanted to save points. Its not like I was running low on points, it's just that I thought that in the future points would be important.

During my meal, I heard a voice through the speakers

"At five PM Japan Standard Time today, we will be holding a student club fair in Gymnasium No. 1. Students interested in joining a club, please gather in Gymnasium No. 1. I repeat, at—"

A girl with a sweet voice continued the announcement. There weren't any clubs in that place. So naturally, I was interested in the club fair. I decided to check it out later.

After finishing my lunch, I returned to my class. Soon, the lectures ended and many students quicky left the classroom, excited about joining a club. I was about to leave the classroom but horikita called out to me.

"Ayanokoujji-kun, are you going to the club fair."

"yeah, why?" I replied

"then I'll also go with you." Without waiting for my reply, horikita joined me and we went to the gymnasium.

Almost all of the students assembled there were freshmen. While waiting, we glanced over the pamphlet that students received upon entering the gymnasium. The pamphlet contained detailed information about club activities.