12

— Doesn't It Kill To Be Rich —

I get up from the lunch table to use the restroom.

"I'll be right back Jenna," I say. "I got to use the restroom."

She nods and pulls out her phone.

I walk out and across the hall is the bathroom. I go in and do my business. I wash my hands and then splash water in my face. It's gonna be a long night.

I walk out, only to see Jay and Devin. They're talking to each other.

"Alright dude, let's go eat," Devin says, grabbing Jay's hand and starting to walk.

Jay doesn't follow, pulling his hand away.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Devin asks. I stay hidden in the door of the bathroom.

"Let's just not hold hands. We can just walk in normally."

"Well, why not hold hands?"

"I just don't think we should, ok?"

"Is this because you don't want people to know Jay? If so, this isn't going to work. You can't be afraid to show who you really are."

"Never mind," Jay says, walking into the lunch room by himself.

Devin runs his hands through his hair as I step out from hiding.

"Hey, Devin," I say. "Don't be mad at Jay. He just isn't used to change, and he definitely isn't used to being different. He just doesn't want people to hate him. Can you do that? For me? For him?"

"I don't know Jack. I can't not show my affection the entire time. Cause are we even anything at that point?"

"Yes, you are. Just give him a minute to warm up. His parents don't even know yet."

"Oh. Well it's nice of you to tell me that, and I'm sure Jay will appreciate you."

"Of course," I say, walking into the lunch room.

At home, Daniel is already there, sitting at the table on his laptop.

"What's up kid?" He says, smiling. "Alright, you ready to learn something?"

"Sure thing," I say, smiling.

"And then after, I was thinking we could go to Nike and get you a few more clothes do you don't have to wear the same seven outfits."

Shit. I have business to do.

"Oh um—."

"Of course you would like to. It's my treat."

There's no way I can get out of this without looking suspicious.

"Of course," I say as he starts pulling stuff out of his backpack.

He sets it's all on the counter.

"So, this is the dummy as I call it," he says, pointing at a square of what looks like fake skin.

"And these are the tools," he says, rolling out an array of sharp, metal tools. "And these of course are gloves."

"Yes, I can tell you that," I say, laughing.

"First, grab some gloves. Put them on and pull them over your wrist accessories like watches and bracelets, including those bad boys," he says, pointing at my silicone wristbands.

Right as he pulls his on I say, "What's that?" I point at the dark green bracelet on his right wrist. It's made of rope and sits amongst other manly bracelets. "I saw that Monica, Jay, and Jenna each have one in different colors."