8

— We Are Moving —

We exit the school together, following Jay to his truck.

"Good day?" Jay asks me.

"Sure. You can say that," I reply. "I see you found yourself a woman today?"

"Yeah. She left a note in my backpack and I had interacted with her previously before that, so yeah."

He's too excited. Little does he know, she won't be there tomorrow.

We get in the truck and weave in and out of school traffic. We drive down the roads, eventually arriving at the beautiful Reed home.

We walk in where Mrs. Reed greets us.

"So, did Jack drive y'all home?" She asks, joking obviously.

"No," I say, laughing.

"Oh, that's perfect," Jay says, his smile widening. "After the school traffic is all gone, you and I can go to the parking lot, and I'll help you learn to drive."

"Oh um—."

"It's the perfect way to learn. You and me, side by side."

He is definitely up to something.

"Well, sure," I say. I would appreciate some one on one with Jay.

"Hey, Monica," I say. "I never got to see the backyard. Do you mind if I take a look?"

"No, of course not. Go look," she suggests.

I walk outside into the covered area. A large sofa is across from a wall mounted television. Under that is a beautiful, grand fireplace.

I step down the stairs that lead to the pool area. I walk through the grass to the tree where Alana was.

I look behind the tree. I search it. On the ground is an empty syringe. She must have taken her medicine right here and accidentally dropped the syringe.

Leaves. Leaves start to crunch to my right. I turn, watching the area.

I catch a glimpse of a hand. A black glove is over it.

Shit. Alana isn't gone?

Well, I guess she won't be returning to The Program.

I get a burst of aggression, as I sneak over to where the hand was. A little tool shack is the only thing between me and Alana.

I bring my guards up, and turn the corner, ready to take her down.

I turned, shocked at what I see.

Brushed over brown hair.

Gavin Simmons. Mrs. Simmons' son.

My eyes widen. "What the hell?" I ask.

"Look," he says, bringing his hands up to guard himself. His muscles bulge when he does so. He stands to face me. He is taller than me by a few inches. Nothing I can't handle. "I am not here to fight you. Just here to watch you."

"Well tell your mom that I don't need a babysitter," I reply, trying my best to be as snarky as possible.

"It doesn't matter. I'm here to stay because our last force couldn't complete the mission. She got to close to the mission, causing her to fail, and sadly, she will face the consequences.."

"I don't care. I need you to leave. I've got this," I say, desiring the amount of money I can keep for myself at the end of this.

"Obviously not. You've made no progress in completing this mission. I've only heard that you are having trouble with Jake?"