5

— Don't Let Jay Tempt You —

I get out of the shower and dry myself with a towel. I throw on the set of pajamas I grabbed, fix my hair back, and put my watch back on. 8:22.

I leave the bathroom and go to my room. I grab my bathroom supplies and go back. I brush my teeth and then leave my bag set neatly on the counter. No reason to make Jay mad.

I go back to my room, but right before I get to the door I here Jay. He is talking to someone.

I step down a few stairs to where I can barely see Jay, Daniel, and Monica. I know they're discussing me. I listen in.

"I mean, what's the problem? He is in need of a home. He can't help it," Monica, says, irritated again.

"I just don't trust him mom. He isn't normal."

"Well, he knows what Jack Reacher is," Daniel says, cracking himself, and only himself, up.

"Well, I don't care what y'all say, think, or do," Jay says. "I'm going to get to the bottom of this."

He gets up, and I quickly turn and dash into my room. I silently close the door and my breathing increases.

Oh shit. I'm busted.

I hear Jay pass by my room. I stare at the door. All clear.

I pull my flip phone out and click Mrs. Simmons.

"I may be busted," I say when she picks up.

"What? What do you mean?" She asks, starting to panic a bit.

"It's Jay, the son."

"It's fine. You must know that if you fail, you will cause deep trouble for The Program. Just take your meds tonight before you go to bed. Everything is all right. Don't let Jay tempt you."

She hangs up, and I scrunch my face. How does she know that I'm fine? If something goes wrong, it's as easy to blame her as it is to me.

I stare at the pajamas on my bed. Some of them have been knocked on the floor.

Some of them have been knocked on the floor.

I widen my face. My eyebrows raise.

Someone has been in here.

I look around to see if anything else has been touched. Nothing in the main part. I check the closet. No clothes have been moved. I look at the briefcase.

It rests safely behind the shelf.

Perfect. It's okay. Like Mrs. Simmons said, it's perfectly fine.

I get in the bed and turn on my phone. 9:00.

I get on TikTok and start to scroll. Dancing, singing, and animals.

I click on Jenna's profile and scroll. A video of Jay's best basketball shots. This might be interesting.

I watch. Wow, maybe he's is actually is talented.
I continue to watch, dazed by his performance. He looks happy.

The door swings open.

Monica comes in.

"Hey Jack," she says. "I see you're comfortable. Is there anything I can get you?"

"No ma'am," I say.

"Well, at least you have some manners. Oh, and um, are you ok with attending school tomorrow. I know it's a big step but..."

"Trust me, it's not the worst thing that has happened. I can handle it. Montcreek High, right?" I ask, as if I've been before. I've only done research and seen videos.

"Yes, you know it?"

"Sure, it wasn't my old school, but it's local to this town, so I've heard of it."

"Alright, I got you registered, and you can go whenever you feel ready. I'm not pushing you to do it. Your choice."

"I'll go tomorrow, it's fine."

"Oh, and I didn't know what to put for an extracurricular activity, so you get to decide tomorrow when you go."

"Thank you, Monica," I say. I've got a good one for you. "You're like the mom I dreamed of."

She touches her hand to her chest, "I'm so glad you think that."

I sense tears coming from her. Wow, she is sympathetic.

"Goodnight Monica," I say, smiling.

"Goodnight Jack. You saw our room on the tour if you need anything."

She closes the door as she walks out. I carefully listen to her footsteps as she goes down the stairs.

I look around for what to do. Sleep is an option, but who needs that? I step over to one of the windows and open the blinds.

A beautiful backyard is revealed. A swimming pool sits in the middle and around it is a sidewalk. Then, around that is grass. There are tress places every so often and straight under the window is a covered area. I'm sure it's a large patio.

I take in the view.

Out of the corner of my eye, I see movement. I glance over to a tree.

A person. Perhaps a burglar. Sort of like me you could say.

Then, I recognize what I saw.

That outfit.

All black. A zip up top with military pants. Black, latex gloves.

It was a woman. She had blond hair, maybe to her shoulders.

The Program.

I should've known. Mrs. Simmons would never let me be out here alone.

I quickly shut the blinds and start to panic.

This could change everything. Now, everything I do will go straight to The Program. They'll know.
That means it won't be easy to keep some of the money for myself like I had planned.

•—•

Hm, pretty interesting if I do say so myself...

Hope this small twist makes you wanna keep reading! :)

Share thoughts here! —>