Chapter 31: Healing

Start from the beginning

I nodded and she gave me a small smile.

"I must warn you... this will be worse. For some reason I cannot get this wound to heal. It is not responding to the normal salves we use and it won't stop bleeding. We've been changing the bandages every hour because of the amount of blood... Severus and Albus are working on creating a new salve to close this but until then I need to change this."

"Ok..." I said, not fully understanding why she seemed so worried. "Poppy, what is it?"

"Every time we've changed these so far... your heart rate increased and you spiked a fever... Your body was in a lot of pain but you were passed out so you didn't notice it. I'm just telling you this to prepare you."

I nodded, trying to remain calm, but I could feel myself growing nervous. Severus must have been able to feel the change in my heart rate as his fingers found my pulse point on my wrist.

"Hey, darling. Everything's going to be okay. We shouldn't have even told you... we just wanted you to be prepared. I'm going to be right here the whole time," he soothed, brushing the hair out of my face. Poppy slipped a vial to my lips, most likely for the pain.

"Ready?" she asked, holding the bandaged arm.

I nodded and she began her work, carefully removing the blood-soaked bandages. They stuck to the skin as the blood had dried, making the removal process painful, though not nearly as painful as the dragon wound, but I knew this wasn't the worst of it. This was confirmed as soon as the wound hit the air. The bandage was removed and the cold air surrounded the wound. I looked down, noticing the blood-soaked bandages being tossed to the side. Flecks of blue began appearing along the large gash in my arm, spreading down my hand. Suddenly the burning set in, making me clench my jaw and grip Severus tighter.

"Poppy, what's happening?" he asked, looking at the wound.

"I-I'm not sure. This hasn't happened before."

It was taking every ounce of self control I had not to scream as the pain spread through my arm, knowing that Amos and his wife were just ouside the doors. I didn't want them to hear my screams, knowing it would make the entire situation worse for them.

"Poppy?" Severus asked, growing more and more concerned. He could see the sweat sticking to my forehead and could feel the increase in my heart as he held my wrist. Suddenly the skin on my arm felt as if it was being stretched, pulling itself together, though feeling as if it was going to split once again. Poppy ushered Amos and his wife out of the hospital wing adn closed the doors.

The small flecks of blue seemed to be increasing, spreading across my arm as they formed a small glow, similar to the one I'd seen when we'd returned from the maze.

Don't scream. Don't scream. Don't scream.

Severus moved closer to me, seeming to be able to read my thoughts. He carefully lifted my head, placing himself behind me on the bed, resting my body against his chest.

"I've got you, princess. Shh... it's okay."

I whimpered, biting my bottom lip to control the screams.

"I know, baby... I know," he soothed.

Poppy began cleaning the wound but I could see the confusion on her face as the wound began stretching, the edges of the skin pulling to try to close itself.

"I've never seen anything like this before," she whispered, looking at the wound curiously.

"Can you do something to stop her pain?" Severus asked, pressing his lips to my head.

"I've done all I can do. I was going to wrap it again but... her body seems to be trying to heal itself... I've never seen anything like this."

My vision blurred as the pain increased. "Severus, grab the pillow."

"What?" he asked, confused.

"Grab the pillow!" I repeated, trying not to scream.

He reached behind his back, slipping the pillow out from behind us, handing it to me. With my non-injured arm I held the pillow over my face, muffling the screams I could no longer contain.

"Darling?" I could tell he was worried but when he heard the muffled screams he understood what I was trying to do.

Just let me pass out. Just please let me pass out!. I silently begged for relief, knowing I couldn't take much more of this pain.

"Y/n?" Amos called to me, peeking his head through the hospital wing doors.

Severus looked down at me as I pulled the pillow from my face, tears slipping down my cheeks.

"Are you alright?" Amos asked and I could hear his footsteps moving closer.

Speak! You have to answer him or he'll see the wound! I screamed in my head.

Severus moved the hair out of my face, gently stroking my cheek.

"I-I'm fine, Amos. Poppy's just cleaning my wound. I'm alright," I answered, trying to keep my voice steady. He just lost his son. He shouldn't have to see this too.

"O-ok. Let me know if you need anything."

"Of course... Amos. Th-thank you."

His footsteps receded and I breathed a sigh of relief, returning the pillow to my face as another wave of pain washed over me.

"Poppy, how much longer?" Severus asked.

"Not long now. Her body is doing the healing on its own... I-I've never seen anything like this before. It's almost finished."

"You're doing so well, baby. You're so amazing," he whispered. I could feel the skin molding together as the pain reached a new high I had never felt before. I screamed, the pillow helping to muffle some of the noise but not nearly enough.

"Severus!" I screamed, begging him to make the pain stop, though I knew there was nothing he could do. I clutched at his arms wrapped securely around me. Poppy lifted my arm, carefully examining it as I clutched Severus tighter, my nails sinking into his sleeve. The pain began to slowly subside to a dull ache and I pulled the pillow away from my face, breathing heavily.

"How are you feeling, darling?" Severus asked, gently smoothing my hair.

"I'm fine, Sev," I assured though I could tell he didn't believe me. I looked down at my arm and the sight shocked me.