10

After that night, she and Azriel had developed somewhat of a routine. She'd awake in the morning, and no matter how early it was, he was already gone for the day when she exited her room. She wouldn't see him again until it was dark outside, and he came in looking haggard and worn. She didn't know how to approach him or break the tension. So, she mostly kept to herself and tried to be as invisible as possible.

He was keeping her alive, which was more than he had ever owed her. She felt guilty even trying to think about trying to goad him into befriending her. He could barely look at her. It was unfair to expect or ask anything more of him. So, she kept her distance as much as she could.

The days had begun to bleed together into a mind-numbing wasteland of boredom. There was nothing to do here, and she didn't want to piss Azriel off by attempting to venture outside. She'd tried to convince him to let her come on his missions with him, but he quickly shut her down and then was pissy the rest of the night.

It would be so much easier if he would talk to her or even co-occupy a space with her. He spent every minute possible avoiding her. It was understandable, but she'd begun to go a little stir-crazy. Like talking to herself by the fire as she stared into the distance stir crazy. She was starved for human connection.

Even on the rare occasions that he was at the cabin when she was awake, he barely spoke. If she prompted him by asking questions, he'd gruff out half-assed answers that made it quite clear that he had no interest in whatever it was she was after. So, she'd pretty much given up.

She lay back on the bed staring up at the plain ceiling and pretending she was somewhere very far away. It was all she could do to keep from gouging her own eyes out.

She felt useless here. Restless. She couldn't just allow Azriel to provide for her and keep her barred in for the rest of her life. Perhaps it was what she deserved, but she didn't know how much longer she'd be able to stay sane.

A loud thud came from outside of the cabin. Her eyes grew wide as she held her breath. Slowly, she sat up and rose to her feet as silently as she possibly could. Another loud bang startled her with a small yelp. She closed her eyes tight, desperately trying to steady her breathing.

Whatever it was, she could handle it. Azriel would be back soon, and he'd help her. He wouldn't leave her here to die alone. Her mind ran wild with the ideas of what could be lurking just beyond the door. Had Maeve found them and come to finish the job?

The thought made her feel like she was going to be sick. She'd been lulled into such a false sense of security here that she'd forgotten just how in danger they both constantly were. She didn't know what to do. She just prayed Azriel had left a weapon somewhere. She knew he was too meticulous for something like that, but she still looked.

A thought scratched at the back of her brain. Some deeply hidden inkling inside of her had her walking over to the couch Azriel had been sleeping on. She bit her lip as she slowly as she reached deep into the cushions of the couch. Her hand wandered blindly, finding nothing. She sighed.

Getting on her knees, she began to feel underneath the couch. Still nothing but small bits of gathered dust. Then it hit her. She stuck her arm back underneath the couch, feeling the bottom side of the sofa. The fabric there had a small hole cut into it. She grinned, sticking her hand inside. She felt the cool metal hilt and felt a buzzing excitement in her chest.

She pulled out a dagger, looking at the ruby and emerald jeweled hilt before another loud bang at the door startled her out of her thoughts. She got her feet back under her, dropping into a fighting stance.

A low groan caught her ears just before another bang. A guttural gargling sound.

"C-callie... please," the voice whimpered. She cursed, dropping the dagger and flinging open the door. Her breath stuck in her throat, and she fought back panicked tears as she saw Azriel.