ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ᴇɪɢʜᴛ

Em didn't think of Zain throughout the morning as she worked, until it was five minutes past the time he usually came to pick her up for lunch. She waited till it was ten minutes past her lunch break and yet he didn't show up.

"So it seems your friend decided not to show up." Eva, trying to hide her satisfaction, mused.

"Eva, I'm really not in the mood for your cynicism." Em said wearily as she stood up, figuring she would be having lunch alone since Eva would just view inviting her as using her as a 'rebound.'

She thought of calling him to check up on him and stopped, thinking that would sound needy. But she was starting to worry about him.

Yesterday he'd been acting strangely. He avoided eye contact with her for most of the time he'd been over at her house, and when he did look at her, it was with a hint of. . . pity.

Shaking her head, Emma did an inward eye roll at herself, finding no reason why Zain would pity her. Perhaps it was probably that he finally found someone and didn't know how to tell her because he feared she would view it as too quick?

The idea sounded unlikely, but yes, that would be great. And no, she felt no pang of jealousy, thank you very much.

"I think he's finally tired of convincing himself he can get over you by being with you." Eva said, and when Emma refused to retort, she left her office looking hurt and ignored.

The latter of which she claimed Emma had been doing to her ever since her reunion with Zain.

Speaking of Zain, he never showed up or called that day.

**~**~**

George's surprise arrival was a pleasant one to everyone in the house, most especially Em, since it meant her husband was back so she wouldn't be spending another night alone.

He arrived right after they'd finished supper and her aunt was about clearing the table. Amy was the first one to see him.
"Daddy." She shouted excitedly, jumping off her table and running.

Confused, Emma sought after the direction her daughter had run and found George gathering Amy into his arms and showering her face with kisses as they whispered how much they'd missed each other, and she felt joy flood her own heart.

She met him with a passionate kiss that sent a jolt of sensation down her spine, Amy wedged between them, and it was Maggie clearing her throat that made them break the kiss.

"Sugar." He whispered the endearment he usually used to refer to her.

"Coconut." They hugged a one sided hug so they weren't squeezing Amy, and she absorbed the warmth. It was soothing to have him back. Even Amy must've sense that warmth for she sighed blissfully, seemingly reveling in her parents love for each other.

"I'm glad you are back, dear." Maggie said, but Emma didn't know why she felt something about that gladness seemed to be because of her. Her and Zain to be precise.

"Oh, I didn't know I had so many loved once who have missed me so much for just the three days I was away." George's face was pouted dramatically in mock awe. "But come on, its not like I've not gone on a business trip before."

"I missed you because there was no one to tell me stories about fairies and knights.” Saying this, the little girl glanced at Emma a bit with a hint of mischief in her eyes, then leaned forward and whispered something into her father's ears that Emma heard nonetheless. "Mummy's story is boring."

George threw his head back and laughed that his laugh that always made her stomach flutter, while she gasped in mock shock.

"You, silly little princess." Emma chastised playfully and started tickling her capriciously, while Amy begged her to stop the torture as she laughed uncontrollably.