ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ-ᴛʜʀᴇᴇ

It began initially with casual calls which enquired about her health and how her day was going, but on the third day, Zain showed up at her fashion house about ten minutes before her lunch break asking her out for lunch.

She was taken aback by it but managed to snatch her mind from the dump it momentarily got dragged through.

After all, friends did go out for lunch together, right? And so she accepted.

Eva, whom Em had failed to tell about the friendship compromise established between herself and Zain, nearly accosted him but for Emma's intervention.

When she explained she and Zain were now friends, Eva stared at her as if she'd lost her mind and with that Em knew she had a lot of explanation to do on return.

Zain took her to a restaurant that was a bit far from her fashion house, and Emma immediately got out before Zain could do the courtesy.

It just would've felt... intimate, something which only catered to George's honor as her husband.

A sense of déjà vu encompassed Em as she realized this was the same restaurant where she'd met up with Zain and had proposed that he become her model five years ago after which his rejection and withdrawal had followed.

She'd been so intrigued to find out his reasons for refusing that she'd continued to pursue him, leading to that weekend after which all the mysteries were unearthed.

Shaking her head as she sat down on the chair Zain pulled back, the memories dissipated. Looking up, she saw Zain regarding her quizzically. "Are you okay?"

"Of course, why do you ask?"

"You just shook your head without reason. What are you thinking about?" He asked.

The arrival of the waitress saved her from having to reply. "Good afternoon. What would you like to order please?"

She handed the menus to both of them with such a big smile on her face that Emma wondered if it was part of the costs.

Scanning through the menu, she bit down on her lips indecisively. "Uhm, I think I'll have the Fennel and pear salad with goat cheese on toast for a starter and Beef cheeks stewed with Pinot noir and carrots, braised potatoes, and leek for the main dish. Oh, with the starter, I like it honey flavored. I'll consider dessert later."

The waitress noted it down and turned to Zain. "You, sir?"

Zain didn't stop smiling or break eye contact as he replied "I'll have what she's having."

If possible, the waitress' smile widened as she nodded enthusiastically for what reason Em couldn't fathom.

Left alone, Zain looked at Emma. "Em." the way her name came from him made her shiver slightly and she immediately shook off the reaction. "Did I tell you that you're even more beautiful than the last time? You just glow with so much radiance."

"Uhm, thanks. You don't look bad yourself." She looked down shyly, feeling a bit awkward by the compliments.

Then he asked after some awkward seconds. "So how's life been these five years Emma? How's married life? Are you happy?"

For some reason, it felt like he was interrogating her, but she figured this was a safe enough topic, one where she didn't have to lie.

"I couldn't wish for any more happiness, Zain. I mean I have a daughter who fills each day of my life with joy and a husband who loves me. Our marriage has been great so far. And I Love George."

Zain nodded and looked away, but Emma caught sight of his guarded emotions before he did. It was obvious hearing these things weren't that easy for him despite his decision to try and get her out of his heart, to stop wanting her.