02| Call me by my name

Börja om från början

"Good morning, sir," I swiveled my head, drawn to the source of the sound. 

Standing before me was the butler of the Scindia household. Dignified and experienced posture, having served the family faithfully for half a century. 

"I've asked countless times, yet still I am addressed as 'sir'," I said with a hint of annoyance in my voice.

He let out a chuckle, the lines on his face crinkling with amusement. "My dear sir, it wouldn't be proper for me to address you by your first name now that you've grown into a fine gentleman. I can't be as informal as I once was back in the day. You're not a child anymore; you're a man now."

"I don't give a damn whether I'm a child or not," I growled, "but you're not going to call me 'sir' like some formal ass". 

"Looks like your stubbornness and fiery temperament haven't dulled one bit," he remarked, shaking his head with a wry smile.

"Absolutely," I replied, a warmth spreading through me. "You've been there for me since day one, guiding me, teaching me, like a second father."

"Exactly," he agreed, nodding. "Who else could understand me better than you, who's been there through thick and thin, watching you grow into the person you're today?"

"Again with the 'sir'," I exclaimed, my irritation growing.

"Can I call you young master?" he asked, trying to negotiate with me.

I could sense the hint of amusement in his voice, as if he were enjoying this little power play between us. I knew the underlying reasons for his hesitation in using my name. Duty. My parents were still of that old school, where formality reigned supreme, even between family and staff.

"Call me by my given name when we are in private. Otherwise, address me however you see fit."

"Very well" he finally agreed to my request.

I rose from my chair, feeling sated after a satisfying breakfast.

"Going to university, Adwait?" he queried, halting my steps.

I turned, happy by the sound of my name. Returning to his query, I shook my head, "No, I have some tasks to attend to prior to that."

"But you're sup-," he started, but I cut him off with a gesture of my hand.

"I am fully aware of my responsibilities. I have been asked to attend university which I will, but the timing is at my discretion."

I loathed these constant reminders, as if I were still a child needing their every command. It felt suffocating, like I was nothing more than a puppet, dancing to their tune with no say in the matter.

"Adwait, I know this life might not be what you'd choose for yourself, but it's the path you were born into as the heir of this family. With that title comes responsibilities, rules, and a certain level of discipline," he remarked.

I scoffed at the notion. Living like some kind of walking statue, devoid of real connections, maintaining relationships only for show, all to uphold some shallow sense of elitism in front of the world? No thanks.

"Sure, why don't you go ahead and ask my dad to provide a comprehensive list of my daily activities? Including when I should bathe, eat, speak, and sleep," I mustered a formal and forced smile.

He shook his head, taking a step forward. "Adwait, it's not what they want-" I interrupted him before he could continue. "Save it, I already know exactly what you're going to say."