°•° 27 °•°

Start from the beginning

She sent me a playful smile. "It's my turn to take care of you, okay? Just let me. Please."

With a sigh, I deflated onto the couch, too exhausted to fight with her.

Once she got the water for the tea boiling, she joined me in the living area. She silently asked me with her eyes if she could hold Abigail and I relented. It was probably better for Abby to stay as far away from my coughing as possible anyway. A cold would not help her breathing problem.

"So how are you doing?" Kaybree asked gently as Abigail curled her little fingers around one of Kaybree's.

I huffed. "It seems that everything is trying to come at me at once. Sav leaving. Mora being... Mora. Abigail's breathing issues. Sickness. But, you know, other than those things, I'm fine."

Kaybree hummed, thinking up what to say next. "Maybe you should take a break. Go for a walk or something."

I sent her a look. "That sounds great in theory but-"

"Aw, come on, Kasi. You make it sound like taking thirty minutes to yourself is going to be the end of the world. I promise the earth will keep on spinning if you decide not to take care of everyone else for a while."

She made me sound so uptight. Maybe I was. But... "Well, everyone else's world might keep spinning, but Abigail's won't. You can't just take a break while taking care of a baby."

"I mean..." She looked down at Abigail, biting her lip tentatively. "I could watch her for a while if... you know, you trusted me to."
Slowly, I sat up a little more, folding my hands together. "It's..." I let out a sigh. "It's not that I don't trust you, Bree. It's just..."

"Yeah, I know," she muttered. She stared at her daughter a little longingly until her eyes brightened. Her gaze flicked up to mine with a smile. "Maybe Miranda could come over to help. Surely the two of us can take care of her for a while while you take care of yourself."

That was a good idea, but it still left a hollow feeling in my stomach. Sure, I might have considered it if she wasn't having breathing episodes but right now, but... I still just wasn't sure.

"Miranda's a nurse, Kason," Kaybree added, seemingly reading my thoughts. "If anything happens in those thirty minutes, which it won't, Miranda would have it completely covered." She shrugged. "Plus, I'm not wholly incompetent anymore. I am getting better."

"You are..." I ran a hand down my face. She was right. Even though I'd been doing some things, I was still wallowing in too much self pity. I needed a break to get my mind off things. "Okay, I'll text Miranda."

Kaybree's smile was so wide, I knew that this decision was at least worth it for her.

Luckily, Miranda was just about to get off for her lunch break when I texted her and was willing to spend it with Kaybree. She even brought Chinese food for lunch.

"Want me to make you a plate?" Miranda offered as she started taking the takeout boxes out of the plastic bag.

I shook my head, having to cough a few times before replying, "I think I'm going to grab something while I'm out." I looked over my shoulder to see Kaybree was preoccupied with Abigail, but I still took a step closer when I said, "Thank you for this."

Miranda smiled graciously. "It's really nothing, Kason. I enjoy spending time with her. And you need a minute to breathe, you know... after everything." Her sweet, bright expression turned worried. "I know you probably hate me bringing it up but... are you okay? Really?"

I clenched my jaw, refusing to meet her gaze. I could never hate her for making sure I was doing alright, but it was still a struggle to answer without sounding dead tired or upset. "I'm living and breathing still. I'm fine, Miranda. I'm just... working through it at my own pace." Then I thought to ask, "Have you talked to her much?"