°•° 8 °•°

"Okay, my friend," Sav said as we walked down one of the main aisle at Walmart. "Do you know what all you need?"

"Uh..." I stared at the sign hanging on the upcoming aisle that read baby. "Everything, I guess?"

Sav looked over her shoulder at me before smiling and rolling her eyes. "Good thinking."

I huffed. "I already told you that I don't know what I'm doing. That's why I asked you to help me."

She didn't reply, just turned down the aisle.

With a sigh, I followed after her.

Considering the size of Walmart, there really wasn't much down the baby aisle. I already had a few things that my parents had given to Kaybree, trying to somehow make up for the distance they had forced between them. But considering Kaybree's condition and how my parents had been acting recently, those few gifts really weren't much. Just a crib and a couple of baby bottles.

Staring at all the products, I at least knew of a few things I would need to buy. Diapers were definitely needed. Clothes. I guess... formula...

I groaned. "This is weird."

Sav glanced at me with an innocent smirk.

"I wasn't expecting to have to do this for... like, years! I'm not even married!" I could hear the panic in my voice and though it was embarrassing, it seemed like I couldn't calm down. This was like trying to find my way through an obstacle course in the dark.

"Okay, first of all, calm down." She stared at me until I took a deep breath. "Second, I get it. But that's why I'm here. I've got you, Kason. Don't worry about it. We'll take it one step at a time."

I nodded slowly, regaining my head. "Right. You're right. I'm sorry."

She just shook her head with a slight smile before getting to business. "So how about we divide and conquer? I can just tell you some basics that you can go get while I look at clothes?"

"Okay. That sounds easy enough."

"No existential crises about that?"

I sent her a weak scowl, making her crack a smile.

After assigning me with a few items I needed to pick out and making sure that I wasn't going to have another panic attack from it, she turned off the aisle and went to the kids clothes section to find a few outfits for Abby. I was glad she had volunteered in that department because that probably would not have turned out well if I chose.

After gathering some packages of diapers, some wet wipes, a can of formula, a baby monitor, and a few other essentials that I hadn't even thought about, Sav returned with a cart full of onesies and beanies and headbands.

"I thought we would need a cart," she said, tapping me in the leg with the end of the basket.

"Yeah, you're probably right." I dropped all of my stuff, relieved to have my hands and arms back again.

"Alright, so what do we have left..." Sav said almost to herself as she scanned the items I had added to our haul.

Thirty minutes later, we were at a self-checkout station with more baby supplies than I knew existed. It only made me feel even less prepared.

"Planning on going home or heading back to the hospital?" Sav asked casually as she scanned a jumbo package of diapers.

I blinked, just now thinking about it. I wanted to go back and make sure that if there was any new news on Abby, I would be able to hear about it first thing. But at the same time, my sister was still adjusting to being back home again and I didn't want to leave her.