°•° 19 °•°

I was used to staying up so when I woke up to a new year, I was surprisingly refreshed since Abigail hadn't cried as much last night. Maybe this place helped her sleep more soundly. It seemed to help me.

Even though it was almost nine o'clock in the morning, when I made it downstairs to prepare Abigail's breakfast, only Natasha was up and moving around. When she saw me, she smiled. "Good morning, Kason. How did you sleep?"

"Surprisingly well, thank you," I replied as I made my way to the sink. She moved over kindly and let me get some water. I nodded in gratitude.

She opened the fridge and grabbed the carton of eggs, starting breakfast for everyone.

"I wanted to thank you," I started. When Mrs. White's focus found me, I forced myself to continue. "You've been really hospitable to me this whole trip."

"Of course," she cooed. "You've been the easiest host. And"—she smiled— "I can tell that you're a good influence on Sav. You're a good friend to her."

I chuckled a little nervously. "Honestly, she's probably been a better friend to me than I've been to her."

"Nonsense." She turned and started cracking eggs into a bowl though she continued to talk with me, being the perfect multitasker. "I believe that in every God-destined friendship, each person benefits the other."

I licked my lips. Did she really think it was "God-destined"?

The conversation fizzled out as we both prepared breakfasts for our respective people. As I fed Abigail, the smell of french toast engulfed my senses and my stomach growled louder than I thought possible. Natasha grinned at me teasingly but didn't comment.

Abigail was just finishing up her bottle when Natasha said, "If you wouldn't mind, once you're finished with Abigail, could you go upstairs and knock on everyone's doors since breakfast is almost done?"

I stared at her in bewilderment. "They all stayed here? Wait, better question: you don't think they'd kill me for waking them up?"

She laughed brightly. "Well, Sav, Logan, and Andy stayed here. It's tradition even now that they're all older, you know, except for the married one. And no, you'll be fine. The only one you might have a little trouble with is Logan but he's all bark and no bite."

I snorted. "Okay."

She offered to hold Abigail as I went to wake everyone up. While I was still a little wary about leaving Abigail, I had trusted Natasha with her before so I wasn't extremely worried. Plus, as Sav said, she was a mom to everyone.

I trotted upstairs and followed Natasha's instructions to the three doors I needed to knock on. First was Andy's.

I hoped this wasn't going to be too awkward.

Knocking, I called through the door, "Breakfast."

After a second, a quiet groggy voice responded, "Coming."

I was surprised he wasn't skeptical that I was waking him. Maybe he was still too asleep to realize it was me.

I moved on to the next door, Logan's, and repeated the same process. When he didn't reply the first time, I added, "It's french toast."

"I call first dibs!"

Rolling my eyes, I scoffed and continued to the next and final door at the end of the hall. Sav's.

Swallowing, I held up my hand to knock but the door flew open before I could touch it, surprising me and causing me to reach out to air. I stumbled slightly and nearly fell into Sav.