8

Without a word, the children stepped back and watched Catherine approach, their eyes filled with apprehension.

"Who is she!" One of the elders yelled in a loud voice, clutching one of the children tightly close to her chest.

The children were clearly frightened by Catherine's presence, and the elders' reaction demonstrated that they were also suspicious of her. It was clear that they did not know who she was or why she was there.

Catherine stopped, meeting all of their gazes with a calm assurance that put the elders at ease. "I am here to help," she said.

"Lie! It is a lie!" The older female elder roared, crouching in front of the group as if to protect them. "You have no right to be here!"

"That may be," Catherine calmly replied. "But if so, I am here to prove myself worthy of your trust."

Catherine was trying to demonstrate her commitment to the cause, and her willingness to prove herself to be a trustworthy ally.

She asserted her position in a calm and collected manner, showing that she was not an adversary, but an ally who wanted to be taken seriously.

While the elder was growling furiously, showing her teeth that were unnaturally sharpened and standing tall, like she has always done in her tribe.

She kept her head high, her body language and demeanor conveying that she was prepared to defend her point of view if necessary.

Two strong forces faced each other. It was clear that neither would easily relent in their positions, and that a battle of wills was about to begin.

A battle that was not going to happen.

"Madam, I am sorry, she is not an enemy, I promised," I reassured clearly, blocking Catherine's presence from the elder's eyes.

"You! You brought this white woman to us! Are you mad-!"

"She is my sister," I replied calmly. "I would appreciate it if you would not talk like that to her or I will be leaving and I will never come back ever again."

"She is only here because I asked her to and she helped me with the food and drinks," I answered honestly. "If you can't accept her, then don't bother accepting me either."

Silence hung in the air as I awaited their response. Everyone just stared at me, unsure of what to say. I could feel the tension in the room, and I knew that I had pushed the boundaries of what was acceptable.

The weight of their judgment lay heavy upon me and I was left to wonder how I had managed to put myself in such a difficult position.

Finally, someone spoke up, breaking the uncomfortable silence.

Two girls stood up and walked towards me. I was surprised to see them approaching me. They both had a determined look in their eyes, as if they had something important to tell me.

"You said that she is your sister right?" One of them asked gently, looking at Catherine with curiosity.

"Yes, she is." I repeated slowly, looking back to see Catherine.

She looked like she was about to cry. I felt a wave of guilt wash over me, realizing that I had hurt her feelings emotionally.

I realised I had never called her 'sister' in all of my life. I would either call her Catherine or just gesture at her with my hands. I never thought of calling her my sister before because she never was in the first place.

But for a long time, she's been acting like a sister. Caring for me, being worried for me, looking for me. She's been there for me, in ways that a true sister would be - and that's when I realized that she really is my sister.