21.3 Lies that we tell part 5

Lila's not one to delay, especially when something like Adrien is on the line, so it isn't even a day before she's waiting for Gabriel Agreste to pick up his phone. This would be the second time she's calling him in the last five minutes, and the fact that he didn't pick up the first time does nothing for her growing frustrations.

Lila growls.

She expects her second time to go straight to voice mail, again, and she's just mustering up the patience to call a third time when the line clicks and she's suddenly greeted with a monotone, "This is Gabriel Agreste's assistant speaking, how can I help you?"

"Natalie? Hi!" It pains Lila to be this chirpy so soon after a fallout but she's got a role to play, hasn't she? "I don't know if you remember who I am but- "

"Cut to the chase Miss Rossi. I haven't all day."

'What's this woman's problem?" "Right. I'm so sorry to be bothering you but it's just that- there's something important I need to discuss with Mr. Agreste. Something... something happened at school today and I'm really worried for Adrien."

There's a pause on the other side of the line. Then: "Mr. Agreste is out of country for the time being. I'll make sure to book an appointment as soon as he returns."

Lila clenches her teeth, 'That's not soon enough!' "Is there no way I can speak with him immediately?"

"I'm afraid not Miss. Rossi. If that is all. I will contact you with the appointment details at the earliest."

Natalie hangs up before Lila can get another word in and Lila glowers at the floor. 'That man better come home soon,' she thinks, 'or I'll just about lose my mind.'

With his father gone on a business trip Adrien felt just a little more in control of his life than he usually did. This was probably what spurred his decision (and a few suggestions from Plagg of course) to surprise Marinette by waiting outside her bakery ten minutes before school started. He's already gone inside and confirmed that Marinette was yet to start heading to school and so there he stood; leaning beside the front door with a smirk that would have made Chat Noir proud (yes, Adrien knew that technically he was Chat Noir but whatever).

It wasn't very long before Marinette stumbled out of the door of her parent's bakery. She had a piece of toast clenched in between her teeth and looked ready to make a run for it all the way to school but paused when she turned and instead met Adrien's green eyes.

"Hey there princess."

The piece of toast fell to the ground as her jaw dropped. "A-A-A-Adrien?!"

He laughed at her bewildered expression and moved to pull her in a hug. "Mariiiiiii~ I missed you soooooo much."

She laughed that sweet laugh of hers, the one that lit Adrien's heart on fire, and hugged back with ferocious strength. When Adrien pulled away, they were both laughing.

"Come on, we should get to school before we're late."

"Oh shit!"

Lila ground her teeth and forced a sweet smile. The whole goddamn day they'd been at it, acting all lovey-dovey. It was so annoying to watch! It almost felt like the Dupain Chang girl was mocking her.

"Awwww, you guys are so cute together!"

Lila turned a bitter eye towards Alya as the girl yet another photograph of them. Would she just stop it already? This whole routine had gotten old after, like, the fifth time. Still, Lila made sure that none of her bitter thoughts slipped onto her expression and pretended to be happy for the new couple.

Her only comfort through the whole thing was that she wouldn't have to keep through this for very long. The thought made Lila internally smirk.

'Two weeks. Enjoy your boyfriends while you can Dupain Cheng, because ultimately he belongs to me.'