18: A Gift fit for his princess

There was only one week and four days to go before Marinette Dupain-Cheng's birthday…..and the entire class was beginning to freak out. As Marinette was the youngest of their class, there had been an entire year in which Marinette had pour her sweat, blood, and tears into making them beautiful presents and now it was her turn, and no one had any idea what to get her.

Well…most of them had an idea of what to get her but unfortunately kidnapping was still considered illegal.

"Honestly," Chloe rolled her eyes, "I don't know why we're making such a big fuss about this. Just get her a voucher so she can actually buy some decent clothes for a change."

"Okay," Alya said irritably, "first thing first, there is nothing wrong with how my girl dresses." Everyone but Sabrina (who was forever on Chloe's side) agreed with this as they grumbled and glared in Chloe's direction. "And secondly, a voucher is so impersonal! Marinette had put so much thought into our presents that we should return the favour. We need to do something special."

"You need to do something special," Chloe sneered, "I, however, have a manicure appointment to keep."

"No one is keeping you," Max muttered darkly, "you can go anytime and we'll all be happier for it."

Chloe glowered at him. "What was that?!" she shrieked. "You say that to my face, you little-"

"I know!" Alya slammed a hand on the desk, loudly interrupting Chloe, as an idea suddenly came to her and a wide, excited, smile blossomed on her face. "Marinette made something for us so we should all make something for her!"

Half the room groaned. It was all right for some, Nino had a talent of making epic CD mixes, Nathaniel could conjure up a beautiful comic book, and both Rose and Juleka had a flare with art and design, but for the rest of them they didn't have a creative bone in their body. Adrien looked absolutely mortified as he struggled to remember if he had ever made something before in his life. It was times like this that he firmly believed his only talent was standing still and looking good.

Which was not conductive in making a beautiful, thoughtful, gift that was fit for a princess.

"And for all of those who can't make things?" Alix voiced everyone's thoughts. "Should we just present Marinette with a puddle of gloop and pat ourselves on the back? Because I can assure you that's all I'll be able to make."

"It was just a suggestion!" Alya said defensively. "We don't have to make her something. I just thought it would be nice if we did so since clearly none of us can agree on a group present."

"Well," Chloe flipped her hair, "I still say a voucher is the best way to go. Now can I leave? My nails are not going to paint themselves."

Everyone – but Sabrina- rolled their eyes at that.

"Oh just go!" Alya snapped. "You're absolutely no help and you obviously don't care. Get her a meaningless voucher, it'll be the nicest thing you have ever done for anyone. Ever."

"All right, all right," Chloe rolled her eyes in an exaggerated manner, "I'll make Marinette," she sneered at her rival's name, "a card. Jeeze! Happy? I will put these beautiful hands of a lady to work and it'll be the best damn card she'll ever get. Come on Sabrina!" she barked as she stood up and proudly held her head up high. "I need you to hold my bags for me while I shop after the manicure."

"Yes, Chloe," Sabrina murmured dutifully.

And with that Chloe waltzed out of the room with Sabrina shuffling after her like a timid shadow. Everyone watched with looks of mild disgust and disbelief, apart from Adrien who appeared to be in his own world and not paying attention, as soon as they were sure Chloe was out of earshot they shook their heads and snorted.