20: Mantra

On the way home, Marinette could not stop thinking about Lila's declaration of war. While Marinette may have decided to stop trying to expose Lila for Adrien's sake, that didn't mean Lila would stop harassing her.

Marinette would be prepared though. If she could prepare for Chloe's thievery, she could prepare for Lila.

But is this really the right way?

Marinette flashed back to how she used to deal with Chloe, letting her have her way in everything and staying silent.

"All that is required for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing."
That's right. If Marinette hadn't stood up to Chloe, she would still be a bullied victim.

Standing up to bullies may not cause them to change, and just make them angrier, but it was the right thing to do.

Marinette already behaved badly regarding Lila because of Adrien. It's time to think outside her crush for this situation.

But how to expose Lila? The class believe she is jealous. (Please. Marinette actually has Jagged's phone number!) Adrien doesn't want to expose Lila.

Mmm. They would listen to Ladybug.

But, maybe it's best not to confront Lila in public again. Rather, just visit Alya and tell her the truth. Say that Chameleon's reappearance reminded her that she needed to correct Alya's interview.

Alya was devastated and hurt to learn the news. She promised Ladybug she would fact check now. Ladybug advised her to expose Lila in a more gentle manner. Since her original method clearly wasn't the best way.

Alya agreed and informed her classmates the truth, literally having video evidence of Ladybug saying that she has never met Lila Rossi before her akumatization.

The class are devastated and angry at Lila for taking advantage of them. Adrien and Marinette try to cool them down and just ignore Lila.

Alya: yeah. That would be a fitting punishment. The bitch seems to feed off attention.

Adrien: that's not what I meant.

Marinette has no comment for this.

Later, Chat asks Ladybug about her action. Didn't she already learn that exposing Lila wasn't a good idea?

Ladybug: so you think letting her lie about me was ok?

Chat: no. But she would have exposed herself sooner or later. You didn't need to get involved.

Ladybug: it's better that she is exposed sooner rather than later. Otherwise who knows what damage she might have caused with her lies.

Chat: but her lies are harmless.

Ladybug: so taking advantage of people's trust is harmless? Ruining the Ladgblog's credibility is harmless? Think, Chat. All that evil needs to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

Chat is stunned.

Ladybug: I'm not saying we should punish her. But we shouldn't condone what bullies like her and Chloe are doing. It's a bad example to show our fans.

Chat: woah, since when was Lila a bully?

Marinette: i have my own credible sources.

Adrien goes home to reflect and asks for Plagg's advice. The kwami isn't so interested in this moral issue. That's Tikki's thing.

Plagg: pretty sure Ladybug knows what she's talking about. Besides, didn't you cause an akuma from harmless lying? Remember Copycat?

Adrien: so what should I do?

Plagg: I don't know. Um. Try supporting Pigtails instead of just standing there?

The next day, Adrien apologized. A friend told him he was wrong for ignoring Lila. He promised to be there for Marinette next time.

Marinette forgives him, admitting she wasn't always like this. But Alya gave her a new mantra to follow for the new school year.

When Marinette mentions the mantra, Adrien's eyes widen. What are the chances that both Marinette and Ladybug know this quote?

From here there are 2 ways for the story to go.

1. Adrien deduces the two girls are one and the same.

2. Marinette and Ladybug are confidants.

In either case, Adrien stays true to his word and supports the investigation into Lila's Achu trip.

Caline says just because Lila lied about one thing, doesn't mean she lied about everything.

Adrien, Marinette and Alya visit the embassy instead.

Adrien vehemently denies being Lila's boyfriend and Alya gets to record Mrs Rossi saying they never left Paris this whole time. Marinette informs Mrs Rossi the truth as the class president.

Mrs Rossi is disbelieving that Lila would lie to her.

Alya: I can't believe you thought the city was filled with akumas for months. Don't you watch the news?

Marinette: why don't you call the principal or our teacher to check.

Mrs Rossi does so, half-hoping these kids were akumas (even if they sure didn't look like akumas)

Lila is in so much trouble. She won't be graduating and will be serving detention for the rest of the year and attending summer school to make up for her absence.

Sure she gets akumatized but this time Adrien and Marinette were prepared