15: Babysitting

Alya thought it’d be fine. After all, Lila has saved celebrities (and their pets!), she can watch three kids, can’t she? It’s happened before, and Lila is always happy to help!

    “That’s what friends are for!” Lila had said with a smile, and so Alya asked her to watch the siblings. Everything would be fine, and Nino and Alya got to go on their date.

    It was great. Nino and Alya had plans to see a new movie, then go grab some food before returning home. They timed everything perfectly, so Nino could take Chris home before her older sister or parents found out they’d left someone else in charge. It was great, having someone so kind as Lila to offer her assistance, especially when Marinette was always busy, forgetting her promises, or just plain out flaking out of work.

    Tonight wasn’t about that, though. It was about Nino and Alya. And they had a blast. The movie was interesting, and the night was perfect.

    But then Gardienne attacked. Wild and rampant, and angry that she’d been unpaid for her work, the young girl had been an easy Akumatization. And then she went off, breaking into homes and taking their kids.

    “If you won’t pay me to watch them,” she hissed out, “you’ll pay to get them back!”

    Alya hadn’t even known about the villain du jour, not until she glanced out through the window of the café they were in, only to do a double take. Dozens of kids with blank faces roamed the streets, following a teenage girl who was dressed like a princess. With a flick of her wand, the kids chased down one that stood at the end of the street, tackling them and dragging the screaming boy back to Gardienne, who tapped him with her wand.

    His screaming cut off quickly, his fear falling away as he stood numbly. A moment later, Gardienne resumed her stroll.

    A moment later, Alya was pulling Nino after her, phone at the ready.

    She didn’t even notice how her siblings were in the group, or that Nino’s little brother strolled right beside them.

    It wasn’t Nino who pointed out Ella, Etta, or Chris’s presence, and Alya didn’t spot it for herself either.

    No.

    It was Ladybug herself. And the heroine looked pissed.

    And it all happened as Alya live streamed.

    Ladybug and Chat Noir leaped into action, fighting against Gardienne and avoiding the swarm of kids that the Akuma commanded. It was chaotic, and Alya was practically vibrating as she watched the duo defeat Gardienne. They were so quick, and so in sync with one another, Alya was going to get so many views.

    ‘Thank God for Lila,’ Alya thought.

    She’d regret that thought later.

    Ladybug cast her Miraculous cure, and the rush of ladybugs took the kids with them…except three.

    Four people remained from the fight: the babysitter, Ella, Etta, and Chris. All four stared up at the spotted heroine with wide eyes.

    Alya felt herself tense as Ladybug crouched down.

    “Hey,” she said, voice soft. “Do you know where your parents are? Or siblings?”

    And Ella turned and saw Alya. “She’s right there!” Ella cheered, and Ladybug snapped her attention to Alya.

    Her eyes quickly lost any warmth, and Alya gulped. She’d never seen Ladybug look so… threatening.

    “Is that so?” Ladybug asked, voice hardening. “These two are your siblings?”