f i v e ↣ germ

┌───────────────────┐

└───────────────────┘

A L I C E

ALICE DUNLAP WAS NEVER one to owe any debts. Yet, somehow, the girl had found herself indebted to Carl Grimes. He'd given her so much, yet nothing at all—nothing tangible, at least. He'd given her common ground to dance upon as she dealt with all of her feelings about Patrick and her brother. He'd given her a chance to be there for Elliot, and although the girl had invited Carl to talk with them the night before, she felt like she still owed him. She did owe him.

The girl had been informed, that morning, that she was finally allowed to go visit Elliot. She wouldn't have had to sneak around, like last night. She and Carl barely made it back into the tombs without Carol spotting them on the way to their cells.

He'd walked the girl to back her cell block, but turned around and left before she found the words to express whatever it was that she was feeling. Alice Dunlap was never very good at that.

But, after preparing her words of gratitude all morning, the girl hesitantly made her way to cell block C, where she knew that Carl would be packing his things. He was the last of the kids who was to be moved into quarantine.

Alice's bandana was fastened across the tops of her cheeks and Elliot's backpack was strapped her back, slightly bouncing up and down as she entered the cell block. She'd figured that she could offer to help Carl pack and then the two could legally go visit Elliot to drop off the bag of his things. Had Alice known that the two were sneaking around to see her brother, last night, she would've brought it then.

Her gesture would never compare to what Carl Grimes had already done for her, but it was a start—a step in the right direction. And so, with only a few moments of hesitation, the girl knocked on the wall of the boy's cell.

"What Dad?" The boy's voice echoed from behind the curtain of his cell, growing closer and closer before he passive-aggressively swung it open, ready to roll his eyes at whoever it was that came knocking. "I told you. I'm almost fin—"

Alice was met with a wide-eyed Carl. She'd never seen the boy so up-close, without his bandana. His skin was pale, contrasting his dark eyelashes—those of which surrounded the boy's blue eyes. Carl's side-swept bangs somehow seemed to swirl in every direction to perfectly frame his distraught face.

Upon the boy seeming absolutely ambushed by Alice's presence, every proposition she'd prepared for him completely went out the window.