p r o l o g u e ↣ the bus stop

┌───────────────────┐

└───────────────────┘

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

└───────────────────┘

A L I C E

ALICE DUNLAP WAS WAITING at the bus stop when everything happened. School had let out early, and she and her older brother, Elliot, were left stranded on the side of the road by their frantic bus driver. Luckily, their father'd found them there when he was racing to the school to pick them up.

Unfortunately, however, their dad would be the only family member who they'd be able to locate, following the outbreak. The three never heard from Alice's mother or the eldest brother of the family, again.

The remaining members of the Dunlap family adjusted rather fittingly to the new world and they quickly settled with the fact that they'd probably never see the other two ever again—Alice, in particular, having an easier time doing so. Whatever fraction of a possibility of finding their mother and brother was not worth risking what the family still had to travel into the city. And what they still had was one another.

Elliot, one of Alice's older brothers, had grown accustomed to his differences, even learning to use them to his advantage. The boy had been forced to adapt to his surroundings ever since the day he was born. He had cerebral palsy, and permanently walked on crutches as a physical result of his condition.

But what would've been seen as a burden by most, was turned into a weapon with the use of a few knives and some electrical tape tightly fastened to the boy's elbow-pieces. Over time, the boy learned the unique maneuver needed to put down one of the dead with his makeshift weapon, when approached from behind.

And as for his front-side, Alice never failed to be leading the way. Although Elliot seemed to have figured out what worked best for him, Alice's protective nature never faltered. She looked out for him, so much so that she'd have been willing to throw herself in front of any chomping jaws or loaded gun that could have ever been aimed for him.

The three Dunlaps barely managed to get by on their own, operating through their new lives, fending for one another. They'd tried communities, camps and even a smaller group bouncing around from place to place, but nothing ever stuck—not that anyone would've been crazy enough to expect it to. It wasn't ideal, but, for a little while, a small tent and a few empty cans suspended from trees by dental floss worked for the Dunlaps.

Until, one day, Alice and Elliot were once again left on the side of the road—just like when everything first happened—waiting for their father to come and retrieve them. Except this time, he never came back. And the siblings knew that their father would've been right there with them, if he had anything to say about it. His extended absence did not breed the assumption of good news about their father's whereabouts.