Chapter 128

It was a late night before school. It took two hours to get the kids to bed; Callie was filling out a few papers at the table when she heard the door open. She looked over to see Sweet Pea; he seemed down.

"Pea?" Callie asked.

Sweet Pea looked over; surprised to see that she was still awake. "Student papers?"

"Grady and Lottie helped me with those earlier," Callie answered. "Lottie was in charge of putting stickers on papers with A's."He walked over to her. "What's up?"

"I just have another truck job tomorrow," Sweet Pea answered as he sat down. "I like the work; but since...I want to be around more for the kids." Callie stared at him. "I just feel like I'm not doing enough for either of them." Callie turned the paper toward him. "What is this?"

"I hate to admit it, but having you around has made things better," Callie answered; Sweet Pea started to smile. "I haven't fully filled out the contact list for Grady or Lottie for the few days she is going to bain daycare."

Sweet Pea's smile dropped. "Are you going to be the only primary contact for Lottie?" 

"If you don't mind--" Callie began.

"We will be their primary contacts...as for emergency in case not able to reach the parents," Sweet Pea said as he began to fill out the paperwork; he looked up to see Callie studying him. "What?"

"Nothing," Callie shook her head as she focused on the paper. "Uh, Archie, Toni, we need one or two more for both."

"Alice?" Sweet Pea asked.

"No," Callie answered; relief filled Sweet Pea's face. "Thank you for stepping up Lottie."

"Why wouldn't I?" Sweet Pea asked in surprise. "What happened to no serpent left behind?"

"Lottie is a Vixen in the making," Callie playfully argued. "She or Grady will be taking over their mama's gang."

Sweet Pea patted Callie on the spot as he gave her the tattoo. "This marking says they are both under the protection of the serpents."

****

Morning came around; Callie was currently putting lunches together for a couple of people; Sweet Pea was fixing Lottie's hair; giving it another try.

"Mama," Grady said as he tugged on her pants; she looked down at him. "Can I have peanut butter today?"

"Of course," Callie smiled.

"Can I help make it?" Grady pleaded as he tugged on her pants more. Callie grabbed a chair pulling it over to the counter; Grady happily climbed up. "Mama."

"Yes?" Callie asked as she took out the peanut butter.

"Can papa stay again?" Grady asked.

"So you did enjoy that father-son time," Callie gathered as she took out a kid's knife; the two began to fix the sandwich together.

"It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be," Grady admitted. "He's a good pirate."

"Well, the good pirate will not be picking you up today due to a quest out of town," Callie explained; Grady looked up at her. "Either I or Uncle Archie will be there to grab you." Lottie then climbed up on the chair. "Princess Lottie." She looked over to see that the pigtails were a lot better than before. 

"Mommy," Lottie said. "Can you fix it?" 

"Of course," Callie agreed, she looked back to see Sweet Pea in defeat with his head down. "You are going to be late if you don't get moving." She turned back to the counter; she grabbed a lunch box. "Grady, can you give this to your dad?"