Chapter 55

Back in the auditorium, Kevin told Callie all about what happened between Cheryl and her mom and was making the announcement about recasting Cheryl.

" Due to some unforeseen circumstances," Kevin began. Fangs placed a hand on Kevin's shoulder, Kevin brushed it off. " Cheryl will no longer be playing the role of Carrie White."

" What? Why?" Toni demanded.

" Let's just say that Penelope Blossom isn't much of a stage-mom," Callie answered. People scoffed as Callie looked at Toni. " I think Cheryl's by the gym bleachers." Toni then grabbed her stuff and left, to go comfort Cheryl.

" In the meantime, Cheryl's understudy will assume the role," Kevin announced.

" Understudy?" Ethel questioned. 

" I appointed one after the sandbag incident," Kevin answered.

" Midge Klump," Callie announced, everyone turned and looked at Midge. Then they all clapped happily for her. Moments later Mrs. Cooper was on stage ready to perform her song with Midge.

" Stay here instead, just tell me what you'd like to do," Mrs. Cooper sang. " We'll talk and we'll laugh and I'll sing to you. And I promise we won't fight. Don't leave tonight." The two performed the choreography as they sang. " You don't know these people. They're not your friends. Carrie! They're only waiting to tear you in two."

"What if they like me?" Midge asked.

" Just like your father. They'll leave when they're through."

" They might like! They'll like me!" Midge argued.

" You're such a fool!" Mrs. Cooper sang looking at Midge. Everyone raised their eyebrows, Mrs. Cooper was something very real. " Aren't you aware how people deceive? They'll take you and break you. And then, they will leave you. Carrie, Carrie. Carrie. You are the love I was betrayed for my pride and my shame. My Betty" Mrs. Cooper soon got on her knees in tears. " We're one and the same. Don't go. Don't go. Don't go." Mrs. Cooper then bowed her head to hide her tears.

" Mom?" Betty asked. 

" Don't leave me, Betty," Mrs. Cooper cried. " Don't leave me like all the others." Mrs. Cooper then leaves the stage sobbing, Betty went after.

" Am I directing a train wreck?" Kevin asked. " And where's my tea?" 

*****

" Guys, the programs are in, and they look amazing," Kevin announced as they walked over to everyone else. Everyone grabbed one to look at the, " Make sure to get them signed on opening night. 

" These look amazing," Callie gushed.

" All our names are on it," Kevin said walking over to her. " Even yours."

" Really?" Callie asked.

" Maybe this way we can all get recognized, just in case scouts come in," Kevin said.

**********

Morning of the opening night, Fred Andrews was at the flower shop with a couple of others. He picked up a bundle of flowers when he saw Hal Cooper.

" Getting flowers for Betty?" Fred asked walking over to him.

" Along with Alice," Hal answered. " I want to go back home, I miss them."

" That's really great Hal," Fred said as he picked up a bundle of flowers.

" Those for Callie?" Hal asked.

" Yeah, I always give her flowers on big occasions like this," Fred answered. " Archie isn't much of a flower person."

" Maybe you should change it up and get peonies with me," Hal advised. " That way she doesn't the same bundle of flowers." Fred gave him a weird look, Hal nodded his head in a direction. Fred turned around to see Sweet Pea with the same kind of flowers as him.